Tuesday, December 1, 2009

You're My Obsession...

Now that for the first time in 15 years I have both of my children in school full time, I have taken an old hobby back up.

Thrifting.

I started thrifting/vintage shopping when I was around 14 years old.
And it became my primary form of shopping.

Because I had my son at only 20 years old, I settled down and purchased my first home at 22.
And thrifting remained my way of shopping for myself because I had bills to pay and things to buy for a little man.

And lets face it...when you are on a budget, and know what to look for, thrifting is a very savvy way to wardrobe yourself.

As the years went by and I traded up houses and jobs I traded up my clothing as well.
And having a second child 8 years after the first never really gave me a break from having kids around constantly.
And thrifting went to the wayside.

Then in September, when I found myself alone while they were both at school and I have a week day off, I started venturing back to my local thrift,consignment and resale shops.

And I have struck gold.

I found a little shop in my town that is affiliated with the military. They donate all of their proceeds to a military facility in Manhattan.

My first visit found nothing.

In fact, I wasn't impressed at all.

On my second visit at Halloween, I found a Dooney Bourke pocketbook and what looks to be an authentic Louis Vuitton saddlebag (the jury is out until I take it to LV and have it authenticated).

That day I had also found a fur coat that I decided to pass on, because I felt the bags were a priority to buy.

But I never really got it out of my head, so I went back about 2 weeks ago to see if it was still there.

And it was gone.

But I found another Dooney bag in ivory and camel, the exact same bag as my navy one.

And for $15 I, of course, bought it.

Last Wednesday, I had about an hour to kill before my daughter's Pie Tasting Party for Thanksgiving.
So where do you think I went?

Of course I popped back in, and actually had a chance to strike up a conversation with the lovely woman who manages the shop.

She mentioned how she had a Vivienne Tam shirt in the racks, a Christian Dior suit, and some other great little items.

I commented on how surprised I am to find such great designer items here in my town.

Who donates these things, I wondered?

Well, as it would turn out, the facility they support in Manhattan, sends trucks down to the shop here in NJ with donations they gather up in NYC.

Really?

And look what I found dressed on a mannequin in the front of the store that fine day?



My fur coat!!!
The same one I passed up for the handbags!



I love it so much....
And it totally made my day to find it.
For $25.

I also scored these very cool earrings



Very JCrew infinity earring like,eh?
But only $4

I almost bought the Vivienne Tam shirt, but held off to purchase this one instead.



A truly vintage shirt, with such great detail.

Check out the collar:





Paired with my tuxedo cardigan, a pair of pleat front slim leg ankle trousers, a red snakeskin belt and booties...

Perfection.



For only $5.

1 comment:

  1. What great finds!!! We have a nice resale shop here in Milwaukee and I need to make more of an effort to get there! The last time I was there I found a cute Nanette Lapore jacket for cheap. That fur coat is awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.