Saturday, February 6, 2010

Collections


This has been a hell of a week.

And currently it is blizzarding outside...if "blizzarding" is even a word (?).

No matter what I do, I cannot seem to find time the last three days to take pics of my OOTD, or, I change out of said OOTD and then remember I had wanted to take pics of it!

I decided this morning to share with you some of my favorite things, 3 things I collect and prominently display in our home.

Unfortunately for my children, I did a brief stint in interior design and keep our home set up like a showroom 24/7.

Now before you go thinking I am some cruel parent that does not allow the children to express themselves I will tell you that they do indeed drag their "stuff" everywhere (my kids are getting too big for toys at 15 & 7), the dog does indeed sleep on my couch (and I completely resent him for it),and I will intentionally not go upstairs for days on end (we sleep downstairs - we live in a Cape Cod) because I am scared to death about the condition of the kids rooms. I shudder to think what they look like now, since I heard a raucous basketball game going on overhead last night and there was some sort of Playstation challenge occurring as well.

But the common areas of this home are purely mine to indulge myself with the things I love best.

Cookbooks.

I own hundreds - no lie, just see for yourself:





The cabinets beneath are filled with more cookbooks,photo albums, and cd's.





Well truthfully, I just love books in general. I love to read and also collect the books of my favorite childhood author, Lois Lenski.




See...more books here...



My Lois Lenski's





And more books in my hallway...I think we can safely say I am obsessed?







I also collect vintage cameras that I display in our family room.











Black and White Photography...I have a gallery in our foyer, most of which I took myself.

I love candid black and whites...they tell such stories! *note my newborn daughter yawning...one of my favorites!*

My husband and I eloped in Maine 9 years ago, and the only things we did in advance, other than arranging for an official to perform our ceremony and getting a permit to marry on Otter Cliffs in Acadia National Park (at sunset, soooo beautiful and uber romantic!) I ordered a custom made wedding dress in NYC, and we hired a local photographer who came highly recommended. We insisted that she shoot the wedding in 50% color, 50% b&w and that we wanted 75% candid shots.

The result?

I love them all...and love seeing them every day in our hall.

Of course the gallery has grown as our family has...and I look foward to expanding all my collections as time goes by.

6 comments:

  1. I love your collections. I am jealous of your cookbook and book collections. I love books, myself, and wish I had the type of display areas like you do. It looks so homey I just want to curl up on a chair and look for recipes. I also like your old camera collection. I collect white Red Wing, McCoy and Haeger pottery and have it displayed on a long shelf in my dining room. I like how you mixed pottery with the vintage cameras. And your photos-just lovely. Those collections really make a house a home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Eleanor, I am amazed at your book collection. You remind me of how much I anticipate getting my own house, so that I can have lots and lots of shelf space like you. The vintage cameras are amazing as well. I've never been drawn to them but lately been enamored with photography.
    Thanks for sharing your home with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your welcome ladies!

    Pam - I adore Haeger and McCoy pottery! I am fortunate to have a walk in attic in this home where I have rows of shelving units with all my collected pottery, alot of which are McCoy and Haeger!

    Heidi - Thanks for the sweet comment!

    Dea - As soon as I saw those built in bookcases I knew this was the home for me. I almost actually installed a full wrap around library wall in my formal living room complete with the rolling ladder! But my husband just looked at me like I was crazy when I shared the plan with him! Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What beautiful collections - you certainly have an eye for arrangement, I'm not surprised that you have an interior decorating background!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful book collection. I aspire to have a library that dense and I love the way you have arranged everything together. I wish I could invite you over to help me decorate!

    Thanks for the glimpse inside your home.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.