Thursday, May 6, 2010

On The 5th Of May...

I love Cinco de Mayo, as shown in my party pics from Saturday night.
We celebrate to indulge ourselves in the cuisine ~ yum!
Acknowledging May 5th started with us taking the kids out to eat, morphed into myself cooking for the 4 of us, to inviting guests to join us for dinner in 2006, and by 2007 we said, the hell with it! Let's throw a big party and invite lots of friends and family!
Since I was away all last week on business, I kept my menu very,very simple for Saturday's festivities.
I was off from work yesterday and planned to make up for my shortcut cuisine with a great meal for the 4 of us.
Since the hubs almost always arrives home from work starving, I made this Salsa Fresca recipe that I always rely on to tie him over while dinner cooked.





*note:if i was preparing this for guests i actually scoop out the tomatoes so the salsa does not get soupy. the recipe does not tell you to do this,i just found over years they are less sloppy to eat that way.

These Baked Chicken Cheese Enchiladas are always a hit, and I have served them at our party in years past. They are a little more time consuming to make as party fare, so I recommend them for more intimate gatherings.




some of the ingredients




cream 4oz of cream cheese (i used low fat) with a 1/4 cup of sour cream. stir in 1/2 cup of salsa and 1 cup of cheese




in a separate bowl, combine chicken,corn,scallions and spices




add cream cheese mixture to chicken then place about 1/3 of mixture into each tortilla,roll up and top with salsa and additional cheese






yum!



While they were cooking, hubs mixed up some Bacardi slushies for us.



We use 1 can of frozen drink mix, Saturday I used limeade, but all we had on hand last night was fruit punch.
I am not a big margherita fan, but I am a big slushie fan...and they are good made with just about anything!

3 comments:

  1. So, I'm out of groceries and I just ate a cube of cheese (literally) for breakfast. Now, I am incredibly famished, thanks!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I love nothing better than gewey enchiladas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmmm, enchiladas! I wish I could come to one of your parties, haha!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.