Monday, June 21, 2010

The Moral Of The Story...






Air conditioning is not my friend.
I am always freezing cold. My husband and kids are always sweating and hot.
So who loses?
Me, of course.
My store is always frigidly cold too.
If people start saying it's hot in there, you can bet that I am actually feeling pretty comfy.
Naturally, despite the nearly 100 degree temps we had here in NJ on Sunday, I dressed in layers so I could remain as comfortable as possible.
It is the only way I can survive living and working in arctic blasts of a/c.
{shivers}

I mentioned the other day how I will snatch up goodies at work as soon as we receive them.
When a fabulous item emerges from it's plastic wrapping, the thrill of the hunt pumps through my veins and I become quite impulsive.
On Friday, we received these marled short sleeve sweaters that are simply adorable.
Especially one in a cream and heather grey color that I spied in my stockroom.
I grabbed my size and put it on hold to buy before I went home for the day.
I envisioned it with wide leg white chinos and soft grey long sleeve t, some summery sandals and fabulous jewelry.
As I worked and my mind was racing at 100 miles an hour, it dawned on me that I already owned a cream summer sweater.
One I bought from the Limited a few years back.
And I haven't worn in just as long.

So I put back the tempting new sweater due to my realization, which ran deeper than just over this new receipt.

I have too much stuff.

Stuff I never wear because there is always something newer, better...being surrounded by clothing all day long is actually my kryptonite.

So the moral of the story is this:
Maybe I need to actually put into action the whole plan that began this blog in the first place.
You know, stop shopping.
Make good with what I have.
And now seems like the best time to do it.
I mean, let's face it, this is really my blog.
It's taken me a while to admit it, but Steph is too busy with wedding prep to write anymore.
Maybe it's time to give this blog a little facelift.
Maybe it's time to test my willpower and endurance.
Maybe, just maybe...it's time for me to be really Shopping The Closet.

Does thrifting count?

chinos: ny&co
l/s tee: jcrew
sweater: limited
sandals: bandalino
earrings: express
necklace: thrifted
ring: arden b
sunglasses: ny&co

5 comments:

  1. It would be so exciting to see what you have stored away in your closet! And I would say if you donated something and then thrifted a new item, it evens out and doesn't count ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I like about you Pamela.
    Your ability to rationalize.
    I like the way you think. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Eleanor, thank you so much for your comment on my blog, sometimes I feel like my mother and aunts are the only people really paying attention haha. And then at family gatherings it's "so I read on your blog..." With me backing away slowly. I guess that is the price I have to pay right? being famous... haha kidding.

    I HAD to comment on this post because I am the same way, I shop way too much, I see a person with some item and then I HAVE TO HAVE IT! My plan is to shop as little as possible, lets not be crazy and say not at all. Thrifting is completely acceptable as long as it's reasonably. Plus it's not a huge waste (for the environment or your wallet) if you buy something second hand.
    Think about all the wardrobe remix articles you could write!

    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so with you on this! I have more clothes then I could possibly need and great things get pushed out of my memory for more new great things. Maybe we should start a "Shopping The Closet" blog challenge!

    And no, thrifting doesn't have to count ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, I cannot even IMAGINE how difficult it would be to work in a place where you are surrounded by clothes all day! I'd get into the "GOTTA HAVE IT" mindset too, I'm sure! I think your decision to start practicing what you created your blog for is amazing -- and I agree with Pam. If one thing goes out, then there is no problem with bringing in a thrifted item! I can't wait to see what you conjure up!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.