Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Desperately Seeking Clarity

I mentioned in my 2010 recap how in early November I had to begin to eliminate certain things from my daily routine due to time restraints.
The first to go was exercising.
Not because I wanted it to go, but in my complete desperation to find time to work out, I was actually stressing myself out more.
I had to say to myself, "Self, you can make it until January and then start your daily workouts again."
Funny how I don't remember telling myself it was OK to eat bacon, egg and cheese bagel sandwiches almost every single morning for breakfast, yet apparently I had permission from somewhere... but I suppose that is neither here nor there.

Omitting exercise was probably not the best decision I could have made for myself.
I have regularly worked out for the past twelve years with nary more than a month or so of slacking.
In return for sweating buckets, I receive the freedom to dine on almost anything that strikes my fancy (although I do prefer minimally processed and preserved foods and don't have a huge sweet tooth).
I have miniscule PMS issues.
Very rarely get sick.
And most importantly, I have clarity.
Ahhh.... the magic word.
Let's say it together, shall we?
C-L-A-R-I-T-Y.
It's my favorite word.
After clothing and shoes, of course!
Confidence, self assurance, control, decisiveness all go hand in hand with clarity.
Yet, when my physical exertion becomes non existent, I find myself struggling to maintain my mood, patience and my anxiety level.
As witnessed by my Twitter followers today after my school pick up/road rage debacle.
I always struggle to understand what drives and motivates people to do the wretched things they do, but when I've become a  flabby slacker with a doozy of a case of PMS and I am scrolling realtor.com looking for my own private island to live on!

I have been doing yoga and regularly riding my bike for pretty much the whole 12 years.
Since I am not a girl you will ever find in a gym working out with others, I have devised my own home routines to maintain my fitness level.
Last holiday, I picked up Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred after seeing both my brothers succeed with P90X.


I will never have the time to work out for 90 minutes a day (although truthfully I wish I did!) and the 30 Day Shred provides an intense work out in a fraction of the time.
In fact when I began it, I actually cried in frustration and the realization that I wasn't in as good shape as I thought I was.
I remember starting Level 2 and thinking that Jillian was a complete nut job.
I perservered, and this past spring added this DVD to my routine:


I thought I had died and gone to yoga heaven!
Yoga but with dynamic stretching and repetition!
Body weight training to build lean muscle?
Yes please!


Then in the fall I found this little charmer at Target.
Let it be known that I cannot yet make it through the whole 45 minutes.
Not because I don't have the time, but because I might die.

But let's remember folks, it's only January 4th so I have only been back at this for 4 days now.
And I am barely able to move right now...putting on socks this morning was almost tear inducing.

So cheers to a New Year of physical fitness, mental stability and the desire to stop wearing sweatpants every day!
Ok, well the sweats wearing may not stop til after PMS has fully subsided.
Bloated you know.

7 comments:

  1. I have a use the 30-day Shred. Even got Husband to do it a few times too. (She kicked his butt.) I have wanted to find a yoga dvd for a while. How is hers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is the best yoga dvd I have ever done!
    It is just as hardcore as her other workouts, so you feel as though you have really.worked.out.
    Not just stretched and flexed a bunch.

    She kicked my hubby's butt in the Shred too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I go to the gym 4 mornings a week but I CANNOT do that tape, oh I wonder if I should haul it out again too?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just bought the Shred dvd on Amazon the other day...it's actually due to be delivered this afternoon! I'm glad you like it. I am worried that I will get frustrated my first time trying it and then give up when I'm so sore I can't move. At least the workouts are only...what, 20 minutes each? Did you see big results? I think I can handle it if I know it will be extremely effective. I'm not all about the shortcuts to weight loss (and I don't have that much to lose) but I do want it to happen fast :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay. I am in desperate need of losing weight. Please please please update us on how these go! Also, this may sound like a silly question, but how much room do you need to do her exercises? And do you need things like weights?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tabitha ~ Even though you look A~mazing to me, I love how empowered doing such a strenuous workout makes you feel. Empowered.

    AppGal~ If you are following a healthy eating with healthy portions diet you will definitely see results. In Level 3 she says you will be starting to see your six pack developing!

    Amy ~ I actually work out in my daughter's room for a few reasons:
    1. it has the most square footage
    2. the furniture is placed for optimum floor space to play/exercise
    3. I keep my mini trampoline in there for her to play with. It is good exercise for a little kid and helps them expel extra energy when it's too cold for them to be outside!And it is awesome for mom's too!
    4. When the kids finally move away (someday) her room because the official exercise room and my son's room because my personal wardrobe room.
    The husband is not aware of these redesign plans as of yet, but as long as he maintains his man cave my guess is that he won't care.
    The Shred requires hand weights. I use 3lb ones. Too much muscle is scary!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the info! I'm considering getting some workout DVDs, like the ones you mentioned, but I'm trying to figure out if my living room is big enough... hmmmmmm... and LOL at the redesign plans! I'm sure the hubby won't mind! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.