Monday, May 16, 2011

We're Falling In Love All Over Again...


I must mention that I have a 5 year attention span.
I have never made it over the 5 year mark before selling a house.
As this February came and went marking 5 years of us owning this home, I had already downloaded the realtor.com app and found myself daydreaming of where we would be next.
Fortunately for the sanity of my husband and children, this economy and my son's last two years in high school are dictating my future at this very moment.

I fell in love with my house the first time I saw it.
Up the street from the house I grew up in, I remember it as a child and couldn't wait to get inside when I noticed the real estate listing.
Having already bought and sold 2 other properties in the prior 10 years, I never felt as confident as I did with this house that she.was.the.one.
I saw past the bajillion layers of wallpaper and worn out wooden floors.
The smoke rings that marked where pictures once hung would be easily remedied with paint.
The bones of a great home were there and that was all that mattered.

Each year we have ventured into a major home improvement project, and this spring the question was asked,
"What now?"
I would be lying if I didn't say I felt a little resentful and more than a little tired thinking about what we would tackle this year.
The major projects are beginning to wind down a bit, the last giant looming is a kitchen blow out.
I had decided to myself that this year we would skip it and instead go on a fabulous vacation to Europe.

But my husband has other plans.
And the kitchen blow out is not it.
Yet.

All winter long he had pointed out things that after 5 years need to be repainted.
He even started to spackle a spot here and there to jumpstart my motivation.
But it didn't work.
The thought of holding a paintbrush again after all the hard work we have put in frankly makes me want to cry.
Projects be damned...this girl is on a break!

While we were in Red Bank with the children two weekends ago, I spur of the moment suggested we stop and order the new furniture we had already decided upon ages ago.
Furniture was actually ordered almost 5 years ago as it was needed then, but the company going bankrupt and spending 2 years fighting for my money back had that on hiatus.
A new model and fabric choices had since been selected, but having 2 dogs and 2 kids had kept me from pulling the trigger.
Because nothing stays nice with kids and dogs.

My husband was thrilled that I suggested it and in we went and ordered the sectional of my dreams in the fabric I had fallen for.
Quite a long time ago.



My husband loved the coffee table they had in the vignette with it so we ordered that too!




I can't wait to change out the decor inside of it each season!

Taking that leap, even though we are not due to have it until mid/end of July, has reignited my passion for my home.
I just spent this past week of staycation loving every second of being here and tackling little projects here and there myself.

You could say that I have fallen in love all over again with my house.

Join me this week as each day I share with you something new that I have done with this refreshing burst of motivation.
Plus...we have some new family room paint to pick out...time is ticking!



7 comments:

  1. I'm all about change every few years or so because I get so bored easily. Unfortunately with hubby unemployed, we can't 1. move 2. buy new furniture 3. change the kitchen. But what I can do is change the decor. Currently looking to find frames of all sizes. I want to change up the wall. I still love my condo though not really a house. It's still my home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow the house looks amazing, it is like a perfect house for a family. love your style, it is very pure with a little touch of country!

    ReplyDelete
  3. From what we've seen, your home is beautiful! But I get the restless bug, too. We are revamping our dining room this month ourselves! I can't wait to see all the pieces come together in your house! I love picking paint colors and look forward to seeing what you choose!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post with Pics.
    Very Interesting blog ! Again, Great Pictures. I am glad you shared them with us!!
    Rajrang
    Ladies Apparels

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL at "nothing stays nice with kids and a dog"!! we are probably moving this summer...I love the excitement of new possibilities but I'm so horribly terrible at decorating...IDK...just not my forte..help!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. As you know, we're going to move this year. Our house is on the market at the moment, but it's not looking like we're going to sell. Which is unfortunate.

    I like your idea of revamping and I love that lounge!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this post and getting to know more about you and your five year itch! That couch is absolutely gorgeous and how cool that you can change the theme of your coffee table! xo

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.