Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The Good Life

The only thing that can rival my love for clothing would be my love of good food and drink.
I get just as much pleasure going to the farmer's market as I do from going to the mall.

Each week I make a pilgrimage to my local farm market to stock the pantry.
Jersey corn, Jersey tomatoes, strawberries, blueberries, plums and pluots....I have to control myself to not buy more than we can eat.
And the liquor store?
Last week alone I pushed a shopping cart around that was filled to the brim with Ketel and The Captain, not to mention numerous bottles of wine and beer.
So far this summer we have had Mai Tai's, Margheritas, Pina Colada's, Gin & Tonics and more Vinho Verde than I should admit to.
But since we only live once....why not?

My favorite recipe this summer has got to be Ina Garten's Panzanella Salad.
It is pretty much guaranteed that it is on the menu in this house once a week.
Fresh, fast and unbelievably delicious, this salad and a crisp glass of Vinho Verde is all this girl could want for dinner on a hot summer night.

I start by chopping up some Jersey tomatoes.
Never had a Jersey tomato?
You have no clue what you are missing.
All I can say is tomato sandwiches.
Cannot live without them all.summer.long.

Cut a cucumber lengthwise.

Scoop out the seeds with a teaspoon.

Then chop into bite size pieces.

Thinly slice 1/2 of a red onion and chop up some peppers.

I prefer the baby ones.
Chop off the ends and voila!
A virtually seedless little pepper!

 Since we are total carboholics. (and after reading the intro to this post I bet you were thinking alcoholics too, huh?) I always have leftover bread lurking around.
I store it in the fridge so it keeps longer.

 Cut into crouton~esque cubes

Toast in a skillet with olive oil and salt for about 10 minutes.
While it is toasting I make the simple dressing.
I let the bread cool for a few before I add it to all the veggies.

Once the bread has been added to the veggies, I chop some basil, add the dressing, and season it with some additional salt and pepper.
It is best to make this in advance so the flavors have time to meld together.
I also prefer the leftovers at room temperature, so I always take it out of the fridge well ahead of when I will eat it.

That is, if there ARE any leftovers.

Bon Appetit!





5 comments:

  1. Yum! Looks divine. Can't wait for summer to try it out. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen the episode where Ina make this several times and have been DYING to try it!!

    I love absolutely everything in it. SO yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy!!!It looks delicious and healthy!Thanks for sharing!
    http://chiccastyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh i love love fresh salads, they are so easy to make, so fresh and so healty! fabulous what you did with the croutons

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes yes yes. thanks for this post! my mom used to make a bread salad growing up but i never think to look for the recipe. this sounds perfect.

    and thank you so much for your sweet words on my blog! you've got a new fan here, too.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.