Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Knee Deep




My first order of business as I moonlight as a SAHM was to tackle my walk~in attic.
Since last Christmas, I have just been opening the door and shoving stuff in there willy~nilly.
To say it's a mess would be an understatement.
Since one of my greatest fears is that I will be a future guest on Hoarders:Buried Alive, I knew a clean up needed to be my first priority!

Although it was 80 degrees and humid all day and the air conditioning is back on full force, the weatherman promises we'll be in the 50's for the weekend.
So what better time to prepare ourselves and break out all the cozy items I have come to miss so much?
There are hordes of Rubbermaid tubs of fall/winter clothing to be sorted as well as the seasonal swap over of decor.
All lot to handle in one day, and as you can see from the pictures...I have made quite a mess!

Each season, I pull out EVERYTHING and place it in my closets and dressers.
And 75% of it goes unworn because I'm just not into some things.
This time I am purging.
Items to eBay, items to sell at our local flea market...this fall I am craving very classic and tailored looks...blazers and button ups, pencil skirts and no frill dresses.
My inner prepster is taking over!
I am sick to death of ruffles and flounce and spent the evening removing ruffled trim from a great tweed jacket and the very dramatic cascade of flounce from a silk blouse.
The repurposing has made them both feel new and modern.
Clean and simple.

There are items I won't purge because I truly love them and will pack away until next fall when maybe I will be  drawn to wearing them again.

What looks are you most drawn to this fall?

9 comments:

  1. I also need to purge although I don't have much space as you do. There are items I like to keep for the sake of keeping. I just hate throwing away clothes and yet I know I must.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha! this looks like my room last weekend! I got rid of 6 garbage bags full to charity! I am drawn to colored denim, cozy tunic cowl neck sweaters, and of course boots this fall!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anything that cover my post-preggo jelly belly gut! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Which flea market do you sell at and what is the process like?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your label for this post made me crack up!!! I have such a hard time getting rid of clothes. I am so minimalistic about almost everything else in my life- but fashion changes so much! I always think if I am not into something now- that I will be later...ugh!

    I need to do this too- I have a bin of "Pre-baby", "Maternity" and "Too fat for pre and too thin for maternity". I just need a day to try everything on and get rid of everything that does not fit!!!

    I want to be into fall - but it was 106 here yesterday...VERY hard to visualize cooler weather. BUT- per usual, I love jeans and cardigans. I also love scarves!! I have a few cute jackets, but it is never really cold enough here to wear them.

    Have fun re-purposing and purging! I am going to use you as my inspiration to do the same

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent idea to purge the excess! I did that a couple of years ago and it was a very 'cleansing' experience.

    Like you, I am sick of ruffles too! This fall I am into 'back to the basics' colours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. eek! That's a big pile of stuff.

    I have to do a closet swapover myself. I like to purge and sell/donate as I weed through everything, too.

    I'm really liking tweeds and structure for fall, too. I'm kinda over a lot of the ruffles, too. But if I know me, I'll probably be back into them next season! I'm fashion bipolar.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I soo need to purge my closet too! great idea

    love from San Francisco,
    Britt+Whit

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm still dreading this and have been putting it off for a while, I just need to do it.

    xx
    Liz Lizo
    VOGUED-OUT

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.