Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The Unexpected

I'm on such an incredible high right now that life almost seems surreal.
There's a part of me that wonders if I will crash to rock bottom when I am sitting with bills in my fists and no way to pay them.
Yet there's a prevailing part of me that realizes if we cut back on the nonsense that drains our wallets this should be pretty seamless.
We are not a family that holds back or denies ourselves... anything if I am to be honest.
When filet mignons looked good at the little gourmet market I love a few weeks back...well, we had them for dinner that very night.
Or how about the many, many nights we arrive home late from work too tired to cook and go out or order food while stuff rots away in the fridge.
Wasteful. And I am ashamed to say it.

I was off today for the Little Miss's 9th Birthday and decided that the first order of business would be to gather up any recent purchases that should be returned.
If I am not working then what do I need these fabulous red wide leg pants for?


They are a bit long and have to be taken up which will cost me more....


And what about the lace pumps I bought over the weekend?
BEFORE I had made my decision.
I would probably look a little weird walking to the school every afternoon in them, eh?



I LOVE this blazer I bought a week or so ago too.
But really?


This green jacket I bought a month or so ago is completely divine and I got such a great deal with coupons...I think I paid only 1/2 of the ticket price, but come on now...I need a new jacket like a need a hole in my head.

Just as I had met my resolve to part with these things I get not only a phone call, but an accompanying email from an international company who wants me to come and interview with them at their offices on 5th Ave. in NYC!
The go~getter I have always been got butterflies and excited thinking, "Maybe the red pants would be FABULOUS for this interview...."
and
"I got such good deals...maybe I should hang onto them..."

Oh, the inner turmoil!
What to do?
What to do?


pants,jacket and shoes: express
jacket: limited


12 comments:

  1. NYC?????!!!!!!!!!! I say go for it and see what happens, otherwise you may regret it in the future. I'm so envious right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and wish your little Ryan a happy birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

    Keep the stuff, go for the interview and worry about the rest later.

    Carpe Diem!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you may have to go for it and decide afterwards!Gut instinct usually kicks in!Hope your daughter had a fab 9th birthday!!
    ~Anne

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad I am not the only one who has this inner turmoil! Good Luck in NYC!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what a post! First of all, Happy Birthday your sweet sweet girl. And for you, sounds like you have the world at your feet right now. You are so smart and amazing I know you will do what ever is best for you. Gook luck with your decisions and cannot wait to hear about all your adventures be them at home or 5th avenue :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. tough call! I'd definitely keep the red pants... and i love the lace pump, and the blazer would be awesome if you got the job....

    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're having wonderful "problems," Eleanor. Options are always good - and maybe this new opportunity will be exactly what you've been looking for!

    ReplyDelete
  9. good for you. i always tell myself i don't need anymore stuff. . . and then something comes along that's just a bit too tempting, and i give in. i think having a blog gives me a built in excuse, too.

    sam and i live much the same way. you feel like sushi tonight? sushi it is. we want to drink good beer instead of the cheap stuff? we buy it at the grocery store, sure, but we still are paying two or three times as much. i think the biggest positive change came for me because sam absolutely refuses to let food go to waste. if we buy groceries and notice something is starting to turn, he pulls every thing we need to use out of the fridge and i figure out a recipe to use it all. it's actually quite a fun challenge, if you have the time and energy for it.

    good luck with this new chapter, it must feel incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so excited for you! Just catching up now. You know what they say, when one door closes, another one opens!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice stuff!

    http://initialed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. great post!! i just love the marlene pant :)
    please visit my blog and become a member if you like it, this would be an honour for me!
    xx
    melina from melina-lajolie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.