Wednesday, October 12, 2011

All Hallows Eve

As a child, my very religious parents didn't let us participate in Halloween, so as an adult I have ensured I make up for all of those lost years.
For the past 5 years we have thrown a costume party each Halloween.
Our friends and their children come and share in food and drink and lots of laughs.
I love decorating my home each year for Halloween...changing up the details to keep everything fresh and new.
Last year, I did a DIY project inspired by Emily and this year decided to expand on the theme.


This years theme is The Mad Scientist's Library.
I happen to collect books and have quite a collection of old hardcovers.
I removed the sleeves (if they had them) and turned them page side out for a more antiquated vibe.
The little black box with the skull painted on it is a little "treasure chest" my grandfather painted as a boy and it even has the date he made it painted inside ~ 1924.
A fun way to display a piece of family history!
My in laws live on 9 acres on the side of a mountain in a remote part of South Carolina and my mother in law sends my us little things she finds on her daily walks.
Empty turtle shells, an antler, and even a rattlesnake rattle!
Placing these trinkets under glass domes displays them in a perfectly creepy way!



I thrifted the black milk glass urn and a "stuffed" owl peering through an oversized cloche could creep out any little ghouls.


My wrought iron spiders "climb" my built in bookcases.


I collect glassware and times like this are a perfect way to break them out and put them to good use!
The picture window in our family room is a great place to create such a visual display.
After being inspired by Pottery Barn and the ladders hung in their stores dripping with Spanish moss, I hung a birch branch I used last Christmas to display mercury glass ornaments.


For our front entrance, I spray painted some branches I had in my attic a high gloss black and put them in my  planters with these black cat luminaries.
Hubby is not allowed to power wash the steps until after Halloween!
All this rain in NJ has made them perfectly creepy too!


They will light the way to our party and hopefully spook all of our little trick or treaters as well!

9 comments:

  1. I love it! You always do great Halloween decorating. I hope you post pics after the party! I want to see the costumes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhh this is amazing!!! i love decorating for halloween too! this is great inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so crafty. My idea of having party went out the door because I don't think I have that many friends that would show up to my party. Somehow though, I'm going to dress up and walk around town. I have no excuses. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE!!!!!!!!!!! Halloween is my favorite holiday ever. I love your decor ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. these are some of the best decorations i've ever seen. obsessed. the post is spooky perfection. thanks for sharing, love. I've got a new outfit post featuring my favorite Lauren Conrad skirt. Love to hear what you think. xo

    www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com
    Adventures of a southern girl turned LA stylist.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that owl is amazing(ly weird)!
    And those spiders give me the heeby jeebies!
    I love those windows/bookcase!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your house looks stunning! I am way behind with my decorating this year... I better get a move on fast!!
    ~Anne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahhhhh. I love this! So cool. What a fab decorating job. So spooky yet savy. No plastic decorations for you. Take more pics please:) Especially of your costume. Wish I lived closer so I could come, :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.