Monday, October 24, 2011

Body Double


This past weekend I did a fabulous job of messing up my sleep pattern.
After standing outside for two hours to take a Haunted Hayride at our local golf course, we went to our neighbors where we drank way too much red wine and indulged in some fantastic conversation.
We barely realized when it was 1 am and the children had all fallen asleep in various rooms on assorted pieces of furniture.


After sleeping in well past my usual time on Sunday morning, I woke feeling quite under the weather.
I dodged the hangover bullet, but I still felt lousy.
My runny nose, sneezing and chills had more to do with having been outside for hours than all the wine I had consumed.


I took a nap in the late afternoon which was a foolish idea, because by the time I went to bed at 10pm, I was wide awake.
Sometimes I do my best thinking in those restless hours and as I laid there staring at the ceiling, I thought back to this outfit that I wore on Saturday. 


It was comfortable enough to get me through errand running early on and layered enough to keep me warm for our evening out.
All of these pieces were pulled from the archives of my closet ~ true Shopping The Closet ~ the blazer is from a suit that is almost a decade old and the turtleneck has been around almost as long.
The scarf was purchased when I knew I needed a great leopard accessory and the satchel was a splurge that I knew would stand the test of time.


I have always worked hard at keeping myself at the same size, but as I get older and older it is becoming harder to do.
No longer can I overindulge, eat salad for penitence and have the sun, moon and stars all align properly again.
It just doesn't work that way anymore.
If I dream about eating a cupcake, it is most likely that one will appear on the sides of my thighs.
While I am grateful that I can still wear the same blazer I have had for almost 10 years, I am too frightened to try the pants for fear they will not fit.


In my younger years I was very rigid and unbending in my eating habits.
Most food items were barred from my mouth, and for the sake of my figure there were many years where I didn't eat much at all.
As I have gotten older, I have decided that I would rather work out extra hard and more often in order to enjoy that fabulous meal or indulge in that extra glass of wine.
 I am over fighting with my husband over whether or not he may have put butter in the vegetables.
Because those arguments have happened.

Husband and I have become passionate cooks through the years and nothing makes us happier than sharing that love with friends and family.
Is there anything as heartwarming and relaxing than gathering around a table with your favorite people?
However, as gravity starts to do it's thing and pounds creep on faster than you can say pumpkin pie, I find myself searching for the perfect balance.
Because sometimes even working out cannot keep up with a {few} very naughty eating spree{s}.

With the holidays approaching, how will you balance the season of overindulging so you don't spend January fasting??

blazer: part of a suit (old)  from limited
turtleneck: limited
scarf: ny&co
jeans: those skinny jeans from express again!
boots: style & co
satchel: coach
sunglasses: banana republic





14 comments:

  1. First of all you look amazing...love the leopard touch. And I totally agree with you...there is nothing more heartwarming than sharing food and sitting around a table with people that you love and adore. Wouldn't have it any other way! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Eleanor,
    I avoid sugar and that seems to do wonders for me.
    There is sugar loaded in everything, for example most yogurt has just as much as ice cream. I have plain yogurt and a piece of fruit if I want something sweet.
    I still eat loads of bread and I drink buckets of wine too, it doesn't seem to make me gain weight. Sugar and desserts have always mademe gain weight instantly.

    Lots of veg and some meat but very little. Oh but I love pasta, so I have lotso f that too, again it doesn't seem to affect my weight.
    For me it's the drinking during the holidays, I hate feeling hungover! If I try to stay to stay away from the red wine I'm okay.

    You look fabulous I don't think you need to worry about anything.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow look at the typos, sorry I was rushing, I have to go pick up my daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My overindulgence has already started with the darned Halloween candy brought in by co-workers. It's horrible because they leave it in the shared area where I can see it.

    My motto: WORK OUT!! I love food too much to eat less of it so I try to work out at least 4-5x a week. It's definitely harder now to exercise since it's getting colder and with the upcoming time change, it's easier to make excuses to NOT work out. But, I must!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look fabulous and I know that when you tweet about workouts, it always motivates me. Seriously!!! I, too, have found that pounds creep up easier and easier and are harder and harder to remove! I love the bake during winter/holidays and know that if I make something with nuts, I will not eat it but know that so many others can enjoy it if I bring it to work or leave it for Mr. M. But at parties, I always allow myself to have a taste of everything I want because the more I say no to myself the more I want it. During the week, I really do not snack and try my best to stay away from processed anything and dairy (helps my skin). It's a struggle that I need to stay on top of more and more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Eleanor! Love the outfit! Thanks for reminding me I have a leopard print scarf similar to yours:) As for over indulging... I just keep eating at the time and worry about the fallout after! Have a lovely week:)
    ~Anne

    ReplyDelete
  7. We're pretty lucky in Oz, as Christmas dinner usually involves salads and seafood as the weather is hot. Though there is plenty of booze, nuts and chocolate too.

    I'm trying to get the baby weight plus some off. I have no answers as I've always struggled and yo-yo'd my entire life!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the mix of stripes and animal print! I tend to eat what I want in moderation, and I stay very active. I don't feel guilty about the occasional less-than-healthy indulgence. Overall, my lifestyle consists of healthy foods, and lots of exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love the cupcake comment...hahahahah. you kill me. you're beautiful. but i HEAR you about the weight thing. it just gets harder...sigh. everything in moderation i suppose.
    ps. i'm sending you something this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely outfit. The leopard print scarf looked great with your casual outfit.

    Much love from the SABO SKIRT girls!
    SHOP: http://www.saboskirt.com
    BLOG: http://www.saboskirt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. You look stunning! I'm sorry you're not feeling well- hope it passes soon. Adore your scarf, btw! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for stopping by & for your comment. I love your blog & outfits. You definitely inspire me to keep shopping my closet!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yet another great post! I've had a roller coaster relationship with food and exercise. Up until I started working, I was fairly obsessive about my food and exercise regimen. I was never unheathily thin, but there have been times where I had a real combative view towards food. I was a competitive gymnast for about 8 years, and when I quit, I tried to try to stay as lean as possible even though I wasn't exercising as much. During high school, I can remember distinct occassions where I would claim to be sick so that I could stay home from family celebrations in order to avoid eating the decadent (but delicious) food that was served. I know my parents were worried about me, and this behavior is one of the things I would change if I could redo my teenage years. There were so many wasted years spent worrying about food! Then, in grad school, I got into a routine where I would run 4-8 miles a day. That wasn't inherently bad, except that I was obsessed with my running. I would run even if I hadn't gotten more than two hours of sleep, and I would run when it was 10 degrees out and icy.

    Since then, I've eased up on my approach to both food and exercise. And you know what's funny? I weight exactly the same as I did in grad school. True, I lost muscle and gained fat, but the change wasn't as drastic as I thought it would be. I now let myself eat anything in moderation, and try to enjoy what I'm eating so that I can feel satisfied without the need to overindulge. I hope I can keep up the "moderation is king" approach throughout the holidays.

    Thanks again for inviting us to share our thoughts on this subject!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.