Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Keeping Secrets


Do you tell your better half things that you probably should keep secret?

I've had this girlfriend since I was 9 years old.
We were basically inseparable until we hit our late teens and we started dating guys and hanging out with people that weren't from the same crowds.
Since then, we have drifted in and out of each other's life, sometimes going a year or so without seeing or talking to each other.
Inevitably, we catch up once again and it becomes as if there was never a lapse of time between us.
I think in a lot of ways we are soul sisters.


Ironically, we are polar opposites.
I am extroverted and wordy.
She is introverted and quiet.
I am really short.
She is really tall.
I am married.
She is single.
One thing we have in common is that we each have 2 kids.



Since I married my brother's best friend, I spend most of my time hanging out with family.
She spends most of her time hanging out with old friends of ours that I haven't seen in 20 years or so.
My husband doesn't know her all that well, yet sometimes when we are lying in bed at night I find myself telling him about her dating adventures.


Which, if I'm to be honest occasionally means indulging him about who she's sleeping with.
Or I place my bets that she WILL sleep with someone she's going on a date with.
Not that he knows any of these people.
He gets kind of quiet and doesn't say much and just seems rather uncomfortable.
 It finally dawned on me that having a single friend out in the world of one night stands and non committed dating must feel like a bit of a threat.
I'm surprised it didn't dawn on me earlier, but since I don't hit the bars or go out with her in that capacity, the thought never crossed my mind.
After reflecting on this, I guess I would feel a bit uncomfortable if hubby had a single friend who was hooking up with women they used to know.

So what do you think?
Is pillow talk like this just a part of married life, or should we keep some things like this secret from our better half?
And next time my friend texts me to say she spent the night at so and so's house, should I keep it to myself or throw my arms up in the air like I always do shouting, "Ha Ha! I knew it!"

wrap sweater: ny&co
button up: jcrew
jeans: express
boots: coach
bag: guia's
sunglasses: adrienne vittadini
bracelet: tiffany's

16 comments:

  1. Hmmm I am not sure, but your friend certainly does live a colourful life! I have friends like this as well we speak and then we don't for years...but we can catch up anytime! She's a life-long friend ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like that I have a friend that I dont see to often but when I do she fills me in on all her latest dating adventures (she is separated with 2 children).I have told Philip about her dates ...I dont think he was bothered one way or the other!
    ~Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE those boots girl.
    Hmm, I have to say, hubs and I went to college together (where most of my besties were met) so he knows and loves all my gal pals...of course I still share stories...
    C

    ReplyDelete
  4. You could have written this post about me and my best friend! I'm just like you - more outgoing and she is more shy. And even if we go a few months without talking, we can pick up right where we left off. Great post! Love this look on you :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I had a best girl friend to confide in...I am sadly lacking in that department. My husband has been my best friend since we started talking to each other almost 9 years ago...girl friends have come and gone but none of them were ever as good of a friend, sadly :( Maybe it's me, who knows!

    ReplyDelete
  6. such an interesting question, I think I'll ask my special someone what he thinks. and also, love the outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the sweater! Such a chic outfit!

    Xx

    http://chelseasgirl.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. loving that wrap girl!
    I was laughing while reading this story because we have this pillow talk all the time! And quite honestly hubs is my bff (gag I know) so I share these stories with him too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's common for spouses to do that, it means you two have become so close that you consider him to be a best friend. I guess I would stop revealing more when he gets quiet.

    xx
    Liz Lizo
    VOGUED-OUT

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just sent you a note from my gmail account (in case you have a junk folder) saying "Hi From Nancy in DC".

    ReplyDelete
  11. very stylish sweater,cute design,looks great on you.maybe things happen to be that way,never mind too much
    romwe streetfashion blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the bag, it adds such great colour to this look xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really interesting question, but unfortunately I don't know the answers, it'a a difficult situation! Btw cool outfit! Come and visit my blog, and if you like it, follow me, I'll be waiting for you!

    Cosa mi metto???

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this post (and ur outfit!) I always chat w my husband abt my single friends love lives!! LOL..I never thought of it as possibly making him uncomfortable..hmm. Big boys can speak up and ask us to stop if they really want to, right??? haha

    ReplyDelete
  15. and I tell my husband most everything...but not all ;)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.