Monday, October 31, 2011

To Have & To Hold On To


I would love to dub it "common sense", but it was truly "classic sense" that drove me to purchase this jacket as soon as I saw it.
That was back in August, before I decided to make my big life decision.
After I did, I debated returning it again and again.


My wardrobe was seriously lacking a camel coat as my last one succumbed to moths.
As silly as it might have seemed to add yet another wool topper to the closet, this one exemplified perfection in every way.
So I kept it.


Boy, am I glad I did!
It's simplicity and minimalist design paired in a timeless shade like camel will make this coat a wardrobe workhorse.
While it seemed smart to simply return it and get my money back, it is such a classic item that breaking it down into those cost per wears will bring this little number down to sheer pennies. 


When I wore it over the weekend I knew I wanted the coat to be the focal point of my outfit.
Wearing all black underneath made perfect sense, but to add a black boot would have just seemed like overkill.
 Suede boots in a delicious cognac color are all together another story.
This is one of those looks that I find myself most comfortable in.


Have you held onto something you should have/could have returned because you knew it was simply too good to part with?

coat: express
turtleneck: talbots
pants: express
boots: coach
sunglasses: adrienne vittadini

11 comments:

  1. Oh yes -- I have definitely done this. I bought a Burberry coat at Saks two winters ago. It was on sale for 40% off or else I never would have even picked it up. But the moment I did, I absolutely loved it -- classic trench styling, but in the most gorgeous shade of eggplant taffeta and with ruffled sleeves. I bought it, even though I knew that I would be buying a new car in the very next month. I debated returning that coat many times, but I just love it too much. And you know what? I wear it all the time!

    I think your coat was a great investment! Camel looks spectacular on you and the cut of this coat is indeed classic and elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks fantastic and you inspire me to look for one just like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the style of this coat! Camel is such a great colour. Your boots are also amazing!!
    ~Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a pretty coat that you can wear for years. Of course, I've kept things (just a few) that I should have returned. I usually only buy if I can think it over for a day or two - especially if it is a boutique purchase which can only be returned for credit....arggh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just found your blog through Respect The Shoes- yay! Love your classic coat- I think you definitely made the right decision by not returning it! I know how you feel because I recently left law school and only work part time now, but some pieces are just worth it :)
    www.saysskippy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nah... doesn't happen to me at all! I only buy things I can actually afford, with a strong intention to wear them for as long as possible... :o)
    This coat is absolutely fabulous!!!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Of course you couldn't part with that coat...come on..its way too damn fabulous! It literally makes the outfit.
    Glad you kept it...
    Looking forward to working together next week...YAY!
    C

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice photos and really nice outfit, you look great, I love your pants, what a great shape and that coat is so nice, the perfect touch to the outfit; your boots also rock, you are really cute! Your blog is awesome by the way and I am a new follower! Hope you will like my blog and follow back!

    Pop Culture&Fashion Magic

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I love that coat! You're making me want to actually go to Express and check it out! I, too, have been looking for a camel coat for ages!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.