Friday, November 4, 2011

Ask And You Shall Receive


In all the years I have been thrifting, I have found that there is one consistent rule.
Ask & You Shall Receive
It is like seeing the law of attraction played out over and over and over again.


For example, before I left my job I purchased an awesome faux leather Aline skirt.
I returned it begrudgingly, only because I couldn't picture myself walking the 1/2 mile to after school pick up in it.
Better yet, would I really be vaccuuming or scrubbing bathrooms whilst wearing it?
I think not.

While I poke a little fun at what my daily life has become, the truth is my closet is already brimming with pencil skirts, Alines, mini's, maxi's and the list goes on and on.
I didn't need it taking up space when I knew the wear it would receive was minimal at best.
Still, the fashionista in me cried a bit over the loss of an item that I deem so "essential" to a wardrobe.


Then lo and behold, last week while thrifting I came across a black (real!) leather skirt, in my size and even more perfect because the hem was a wee bit longer than the one I returned.
For a whopping $6.
I had also decided I wanted a nice pair of penny loafers and on the same day found a brand new, unworn pair of Bass in my size for $5.
I kid you not!

My point is, a thrift store can deliver almost any current or on trend item you are seeking if you are just willing to look.
And have patience.
Because sometimes it just takes a while for the item to turn up.

For weeks I have been silently pining for a fabulous wool plaid blazer and would really, really like a certain JCrew one that is light years out of my unemployed budget.
Yesterday I had the great fortune to stumble upon one that is not only similar ~ it is even more perfect then I could have imagined!
Of course, cheap~o thrifter I am, I balked at the $10 price tag for about 30 seconds before clutching it to my chest and darting off to the fitting room to try it on.
Of course, it fit like a glove!


Next on my list?
Solid color crewneck sweaters...I am lusting for more right now!


Do you thrift? And if so, do you find that the "thrift gods" deliver much wanted items?


P.S. I had also decided I needed a few more "basic" sweaters, so of course I found this Pendleton one for mere pennies!


sweater: vintage, thrifted pendleton
jeans: express
boots: style & co
necklace: old express
ring: gifted when I was 15
clutch: old,old kenneth cole from the depths of my closet!





11 comments:

  1. I absolutely love your hair!!! I recently went through a big chop and now am starting the slow arduous process of growing it out again...

    shimmering2light.blogspot.com

    p.s. I always buy things that don't fit into my lifestyle, with the hope that one day I'll need it and won't have it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do thrift via Ebay and go to discount stores like the TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Ross, Filene's Basement. There are some items that I've paid next to nothing and it's a great satisfaction finding that one of a kind bargain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Eleanor! You always bag some fantastic finds while thrifting! I also love your hair! It always looks styled and in perfect condition. Have a lovely weekend:)
    ~Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are one gorgeous lady!!! love your outfit... c0mplements you a lot.. following you now, hope you could visit my blog too.. kissess!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I say this all the time too. Thrifting is the best way to try a trend without going broke. If it works GREAT you got a bargain on an item, if it doesn't - you didn't break the bank.

    Now where did you find these $5 penny loafers cause I've been searching for the perfect pair.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That color looks amazing against your skin color. Lovely :)
    xx
    lilithfashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those boots are killer. Thanks for stopping by our blog, we're happy you found us! we're always thrilled to connect with a local thrift/vintage buff :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such great thrifting finds! So true that you can find the exact pieces you really want for so much less if you just dig through the vintage racks a bit. Can't wait to see how you style the leather skirt :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. your necklace is so fun! Love the color of your sweater :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. As you know, I am a huge fan of thrift stores. I've found some fantastic things, and my BF's mom is always on the lookout for me, as well. This winter, wished for a pretty polka dotted dress and a lace skirt -- sure enough, red and white silk polka dot shirtdress and a Brooks Brothers lace pencil skirt. Score!

    On my list now: a silk wrap dress, red pencil skirt, and a sheer ivory blouse.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sweater looks wonderful!!! I love finding Pendleton items while thrifting!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.