Friday, November 18, 2011

The Ones That Inspire Us





Inspiration comes from everywhere. We all know that. Be it from glossy magazine pages to someone we pass on the street, there are amazing people, places and things that catch our attention time and time again. I believe what keeps the world evolving is taking little pieces of these things we see and weaving them into the fabric of our own lives. Mixing these borrowed bits and pieces into our own preconceived notions are what make each of us such unique individuals..
Reading blogs is a huge source of inspiration to me, from the uber bloggers with jaw dropping style, jetsetting from city to city living their fabulous existence, to the small town fashionista who may only have the means to shop secondhand and may have never been to places like NYC or LA. Each woman inspiring in her own way. Most of the blogs I favor are written by women whose style I would consider somewhat different than my own. These are the blogs that have me clamoring to the keyboard every morning. It isn't because I will covet every single thing they are wearing, and perhaps we don't always have the same exact taste or interests, but there is an aura about them that I find fascinating. Appealing. 
I don't mean for that to sound creepy or stalkerish because I say it in the purest way possible. Those that lead an elegantly simple existence appeal to me the most.  As I continue to evolve and change, so do the things that inspire me.
This oufit was inspired by one of my favorite bloggers. She strikes me as confident, independent ~ someone who knows who she is. From her photos, her life appears to be the idyllic small town existence the newer me craves. From her simply wearing a hooded sweatshirt with a skirt the other day, she reminded me that I had purchased this cowl neck sweatshirt to wear with a button up last summer. Two different takes from one similar thought. These are the reasons I come back for more.
As I type this I realize that my fascination is because perhaps we are not really that different at all. That once we scratch the surface we have more similarities than I think. By sharing small glimpses into our lives through blogging, we are creating more common denominators than we realize. In some ways we are crossing what could otherwise be dividing lines. I think if we all took a moment to consider blogs that fascinate us most it is because we see a piece of ourselves, or the piece we are wishing for in these others. It's just a thought.

Are you more inspired with those who have tastes you consider similar to your own, or are you fascinated by people you think are different? 

sweatshirt: express
button up: jcrew
skirt: ny&co
tights: express 
boots: coach
glasses: express
bracelet & ring: tiffany's
watch: citizen

11 comments:

  1. oh this is SO cute!!! i love the skirt especially and of course the cozy sweater over the blouse. very comfy, no? and you know what? i totally agree with you. i think this blogging thing shows us that we all have way more in common than differences. and there's always inspiration to be found even a world away. i love how it brings us together when otherwise we'd never 'meet.' love the insight in your post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great post Eleanor! I love connecting with all different bloggers and gain great inspiration from each one I follow! Have a fabulous weekend:)
    ~Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm inspired by both. I think style blogging is really fun because you get to see fashion worn by people other than fashion models. And style determined by interesting individuals, rather than fashion editors. It's more about personal style than trends, I love that part.

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, I have to check her out..I have never heard of that blog:) thanks for sharing...
    and I would say I am an even mix..I like bloggers/magazines that have a similar aesthetic to mine (just tend to gravitate to those) but then I also like those blogs that are SO polar opposite...there is always this one component or small detail that inspires me and I can invoke into my own style/life etc.
    Love you in this cozy but super chic outfit!
    C

    ReplyDelete
  5. you look great in those glasses!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey love. this outfit is utter perfection. you look amazing. and i love that you gave your fave blogger a shout out. super sweet. thanks for sharing, love. I hope you had a fabulous weekend. I've got a new outfit post inspired by Marilyn Monroe. Love to hear what you think. xo

    http://fashboulevard.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can totally relate to your view of blogs and magazines as bits and pieces of inspiration. I like a mix of blogs. Some I can relate to and others push me to try new things. Right now I'm inspired to get some great glasses and a cowl neck sweater just like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. those glasses look so fab on you girl! It's all about mixing blogs, magazines, and street style for me. So much inspiration! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too find tremendous inspiration from those whose styles seem quite different than mine -- usually from ladies who have fabulous street style or an edgy, trendy, of-the-moment look. On the weekends, I'll have fun incorporating some new ideas into my wardrobe. It can be a fun challenge to take my traditionally sweet and classic wardrobe, and transform it into some different looks.

    Loved this post! And how chic do you look in those glasses?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This thread has great information on shopping. A friend of mine told me about this cool app that allows you to get instant feedback from your Facebook friends on whether you should buy something or not (for themselves or as a gift). Here's the link - I think the app is coming out around Black Friday but you can sign up now:

    www.leapcommerce.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi!! I'm a new follower!! I'm inspired by people like you...who have awesome taste in cloth!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.