Friday, November 25, 2011

Time Off


I had no intentions of taking the past week "off" from blogging. In fact I simply couldn't find the time to sit for a few moments on Monday at all. The next thing I knew it was Tuesday and we had guests arriving to spend Thanksgiving with us. Wednesday was spent running a few last minute errands, prepping side dishes and brining the turkey. I was up at 5:30 Thursday morning to get the bird to room temperature before roasting and assemble and cook the rest of my meal. We shared our Thanksgiving with 8 family members we love and adore and I have to say it was one of the best ones yet.
It was good for me to unplug a bit. Between all my Thanksgiving planning and entertaining, I have been working on a project that is a lot more work than I originally anticipated. I have been pressuring myself to get it done and in turn it has only stressed me out. As I lay in bed the other night thinking of all I have to do and sticking to my self appointed "time frame" I could feel anxiety taking over. I reminded myself that this is a project and when I get it done, it gets done. No one is waiting with baited breath for this to be completed and I am just causing my own distress. 
Ultimately I decided to walk away from the computer and all the nonsense I feel I must do and just live in the moment. No picture taking and documenting every little thing, no blogging, sweatpants on by 4pm each afternoon and me dancing around the kitchen listening to Christmas music while I cooked to my little heart's content. The pictures of these moments are in my mind which has quieted down and unwound.
I am thankful for this time off from work and am "working" really hard to keep it permanent. Just not at the cost of stress ~ because I left that behind the day I walked away from my job.
I hope all who celebrate enjoyed their holiday and took a moment to reflect on the wonderful blessings in our lives. 
I know I did.

6 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had a great week!
    Isn't it amazing the stress we can put ourselves through? I often just remind myself to calm down, things can wait!
    Thanks for reminding me of that today too.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Eleanor! Delighted you had a lovely Thanksgiving:) I think I will chill out myself this weekend, before I start on my Christmas to do list!:) I got a bit frazzled last year and ended up with flu!! Never worth it. Enjoy your weekend:)
    ~Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes we just need to live in the moment!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you enjoyed unplugging and had a wonderful Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a wonderful Thanksgiving. Especially since you were kind to yourself too. Often we are our own worse schedulers and time keepers.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.