Saturday, December 24, 2011

Bittersweet Christmas

First off, I want to say THANK YOU to all of my readers from the bottom of my heart. Your comments brighten each and every day and I cherish the friendships that blogging has built.
Recently I have been receiving some truly heartfelt emails from some of you and I want you to know how much that touches me. To actually take the time to write an email in itself is a sweet gesture, but the words I have read have been imprinted on both my heart and soul.
I am indeed convinced that blog friends ARE the best and you all prove that time and time again.
So to each and every one of you...whether you are just a "lurker" (I like the word bystander better, lurker sounds creepy) an active participant, or one of my blogging besties, I wish for you and yours the most merriest of Christmas and truly all of the best that 2012 has to offer.

It is a bittersweet Christmas here for us. My 90 year old grandfather suffered a terrible fall on Friday morning. After quite a few ups and downs, things are not looking well and the reality that his time with us is now very limited has begun to sink in.
He is my maternal grandfather and for the past 38 years I have only spent a couple of Christmases without him. He and my grandmother were a virtual second set of parents to my siblings and self and to say we are close is an understatement.
While I will never be ready to ever say goodbye, I am beyond grateful that both of my children have had the chance to know him on the same level as I always have. They formed close bonds with their great grandfather  and that does not oft happen. 
So this Christmas I am simply remembering the 30 some odd Christmases I have had with him and am thankful that he was here in my home for the holiday last year. These are memories I will always cherish, as he made Christmas a very magical affair. This morning I collected some of my favorite Christmas pictures of him and the smile they have put on my face is much needed.
It would truly take a Christmas miracle for our current situation to change, but I can't lose that little glimmer of hope. 


 me and pop

pop helping me open my gifts

 the holidays were always party time at my grandparents house

nan and pop slept over our house every single christmas to be there to open gifts with us



december 1994
this is my son with his great grandparents



christmas 2010

pop in october at my cousin's wedding. the last time we were together.

my pop. 

6 comments:

  1. what a lovely tribute to your grandfather. what a wonderful man he is! my thoughts and prayers are with you and your pops. xo janet

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry that you have to say goodbye soon. He looks like such a happy wonderful man- and I can tell that to be fact just from his wonderful smile in these pictures.

    I truly wish you peace and happiness this Christmas and hope that all of your wishes (even a really big Christmas miracle) comes true for you this year.

    Love and holiday wishes. Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. My condolences to you and your family and am so sorry to hear of your loss. My thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, he seems so sweet. You're lucky to have had the time and it's so great that's not lots on you. Esp that the kids have experienced having a great-grandparent. That's awesome. Hoping that you draw family even closer and enjoy this time together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am very sorry to hear that your grandfather is not well! I will keep him in my thoughts and prayers this Christmas!:)
    ~Anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. What beautiful photos of a beautiful man. Love to you. xx

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.