Friday, December 9, 2011

Katy ~ Did

Guess what???
It's been a labor of love that has taken me a lot longer than I initially anticipated, but I am now a business owner!

Officially tonight, my online shop
is OPEN for business!!!!

Since this project has taken forever and I have had plenty of time to think about writing this post telling you all about it, I thought I would give some background and answer some possible FAQ's!

The Katy ~ Did was the name my grandfather used for all of his boats he owned back in the 50's and 60's. I inherited all of his nautical memorabilia from the Katy ~ Did and with the love my grandparents had for making old new again, I felt it was an appropriate name!
The header on the shop is actually a vintage wooden "boat" purse my grandfather had commissioned as a gift for my grandmother Katie and is one of my most prized possessions!

As you all know, I am a vintage lover! I have been buying and collecting vintage for almost 25 years. Most of the items I am launching with I have already had. Sizes will begin to vary a bit more now as I expand my searches with the shop in mind, since previously I had mostly myself in mind! ;)

Why not Etsy?
Etsy requires items that are at least 20 years old. I find a lot of "better brands" in my excursions and want to be able to sell anything I feel strongly about. If I score a great JCrew item, you can bet that I want to pass those savings along to you!


Is it safe? 
Yup! I am set up through PayPal so you can just pay securely right through them. They handle all of your private information and money transfers. It's the same as buying on Etsy or eBay. It's safer than handing your credit card to a clerk at a bricks and mortar store!

What about shipping prices?
Shipping prices are factored in to each item depending on it's size and weight using the same calculating systems as eBay and the USPS website. I will expand to International shipping in the very near future, however, if there is something you want to buy and you live outside the US and I know you, just email me and I can work it out with you!

Why on Blogger?
I am no computer wiz. BELIEVE ME, I am not. Designing this page by myself was a true test in patience for me. Due to my lack of skills and desire not to bloat prices because I have any kind of overhead, I started here  knowing that I can always expand and buy my own domain when the time is right. And if we are all lucky, I'll hire someone to upgrade it who knows what they are doing!

Is this why you quit your job? 
Absolutely not. The idea came to me after I was home already and had put things on both Craig's List and eBay. I debated just selling items possibly on my blog. The truth is, I walk away from a ton of amazing items time and time again because they are not in my size, or perhaps I just know I will never wear them. Now, this provides me with a way to bring those unbelievable things to your doorstep!

Haven't I seen you before?
That's right. Some of the items for sale you may very well have seen featured on this blog. I will be adding those photos as a page to the shop so people can see some of the items styled and worn in real life.

What next?
Well, who knows? Anything can happen! I am hoping this will just continue to fuel my passion and be a fun hobby for me. Some of my blogging besties will be featuring finds on their blogs in the very near future....so stay tuned!!!

Have a question I didn't answer?
I'd be happy to ~ email me:
shoppingtheclosetblog@gmail.com



10 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Eleanor, on this new endeavor! To make shopping your job ... so smart ... ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Eleanor! Wishing you all the best on your new venture!:)
    ~Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a fantastic idea. and i know just from selling on ebay what a ton of work this has been for you to put together. well done! so many pretty things too. xo janet

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so absolutely exciting, I can't wait to go have a look at your shop!
    Really this seems like such a good fit for you Eleanor, playing to all of your skills yet fun too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AWESOME to the Nth degree. Congrats on your new "job". Can't wait to see the items.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, congratulations! This is very exciting!! I have often thought of doing the same thing. I love thrifting and rooting out vintage finds but I always find myself a little heartbroken at the prospect of leaving behind awesome items that don't fit me.

    I can't wait to shop Katy ~ Did! I'm a total nut for vintage jewelry especially.

    Good luck with your new endeavor!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! Looks fabulous. THE question is...do you ship to Australia?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. SO exciting!!
    I can't wait to see what treasures you dig up and discover....and remember the vintage jewelry lovers over here (hint hint).
    SO great seeing you Thursday...
    We still need to chat about getting an event together in the spring...I am game.
    C

    ReplyDelete
  9. How cool! Congratulations! Love the Q & A too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.