Tuesday, December 6, 2011

When The Whole World Is Against You

image from baconbitch.com


Let me be honest with you.
We're friends, right? 
I'm super cranky this week.
It's true.
I'm not just saying cranky, I am standing on my rooftop screaming CRANKY!
Everything and anything is annoying me and that annoys me more.
Clarify?
Being cranky makes me, well, more cranky if that makes any sense. 
However, recognizing the nasty is the first step to being sweet again, and I have spent the past two days trying to soothe my inner beast. My stubbornness oft prevails, and I will be damned if I let this foul mood get the best of me.
The first step to happiness for me is to cut out the cranky triggers. People are generally my kryptonite, so I will instinctively go into hiding from the people I know who are most likely to foul up my mood. I become almost hermit like. 
Yesterday my solitude wasn't working as effectively as I hoped, so I found myself googling "mood improving foods" and put myself on a 3 meal, no snack diet that consisted of 1. Strawberry/banana smoothie for breakfast. 2. A small bowl of homemade minestrone packed to the gills with beans, spinach and other veggies. 3. A bowl of tuna with lettuce and tomatoes for dinner. Oh, and enough water to float a small ship from here to NY Harbor.
I may or may not have eaten two bite size pieces of chocolate in there somewhere and they may or may not have been stolen from my daughter's Advent Calendar.
Don't worry, I'm not so far gone as to steal candy from a child....they have been replaced.
My mood definitely improved, and while I give the credit to the chocolate mostly, I blame some of this foulness I am experiencing on overindulging recently with both food and drink, but when making merry these things tend to happen. PMS happens too.
Does making merry with a whole bottle of wine by yourself count?
All was feeling well with the world and just when I was ready to grasp hands and sing Kumbaya with the closest human being, I noticed that my daughter had taken my iPhone and watched YouTube until it died. Knowing that I am more addicted to that thing than a drug user at a methadone clinic, you can imagine my dismay. 
Imagine also that my husband had been texting me to let me know he was going out to have a beer with his boss and that my daughter was happily texting him back yet failed to tell me about their "conversation". Thus it was back into the depths of moodiness.

I woke this morning determined once again to beat myself at this game and after a good walk with the dogs and another hour of exercising,  I felt equipped to handle anything that came my way.
Then my son arrived home and casually mentions some annoying things about my ex husband. Then it starts raining and I have to drive to school and sit in the pick up line which is like being trapped in an idiot sandwich. And to top it all off my daughter had the biggest Jonah day EVER at school and I had to forgo my own pity party so as to put a stop to hers.
Now I just want to satiate myself with carbs, wine and maybe a few more pieces of chocolate.

Do you ever feel like you are being attacked from all angles? That no matter how hard you try and how much you overcome stuff still happens?

11 comments:

  1. Oh no. I've also been having a hard time but I am on-the-verge-of-tears more than cranky. Though I feel cranky too, I just think if I open my mouth I'll start wailing.
    Are you sleeping well? I haven't been at all and it's making everything so much worse. Also PMS is no joke, I feel slightly crazy for a good eight days with stupid PMS. That's where I am now, crazed and exhausted.
    I hope we both feel better by the end of the week. I'm going to check back with you and see how you are!
    Oh and I'm having a glass of wine right now and it's brightening things actually!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carbs make everything better. Seriously - calories don't count when you're cranky. Cocktails are diet food - sweet vodka-y diet food ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES. A friend and I were just having this conversation today.

    I am very cranky. I am trying oh-so hard to get out of it.

    If you find a magical cure- let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my god, I'm totally using that "idiot sandwich" phrase.

    When I'm in a mood like this, I like to step a back and ask myself if this is real life. I mean, sometimes you can't make this stuff up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. honestly, i have a dream life of being a hermit/recluse. i've even written a recluse manifesto! i could so easily be one and if people keep pissing me off, i may just do that!
    so what do you think of that?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I know that inner beast very well.
    Being alone- for me - makes all the difference. Some people don't get it, but it's a way to not take it out on anyone and keep my friends and sanity.
    Chocolate helps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugh! I hate it when life just seems like one big cluster f*&! Any they seem to come in spurts all mushed together. Alone time is the only thing that does it for me. A good movie and some wine help too. BBC Pride & Prejudice it my go to. Hope you pity party helped and things are looking better, but rainy days do not seem to help.

    I have been going going going these past few days and plan on cutting out of the studio at like 3 to go home turn on the tree, make Christmas candy, and listen to Christmas music.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are you kidding? Making merry with a whole bottle of wine is making the merriest.

    Sorry your week has been sucky. But I like the image of an idiot sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Eleanor! Sorry to hear you are having a bad week! Hope it improves soon! I have often hit the wine myself to raise the spirits. Only thing is a fuzzy head the next day makes me worse again!
    ~Anne

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I'm down, I go shopping. Sorry you're having a cruddy day. It's the rainy weather that's bringing me down. It makes me want to eat everything in sight, drink all the red wine and eat all sweets around.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hugs! I wish I was there to share those carbs and wine with you. xx

    Oh and blast some Pulp. I know that would make you smile!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.