Monday, December 12, 2011

Why Blog Friends Are Best


Yesterday's post brought a comment from Janet and I knew as soon as I read it that I would blog about it today.
Because it's something I have been thinking about for a long time.

Blog friends are really some of the best kind of friends there are.

I've spent the past 24 hours trying to think of all the reasons I can prove this statement to be true and I can only come up with one single answer.
Blog friends are best because the foundations are built upon common interest not circumstance.
Finding a bosom buddy blogger is almost the same as finding your soul mate on a site like Match.com.
Don't laugh just yet....hear me out.
If you went on a dating website you would enter all your personal information and it would link you up with someone who shared all of those same opinions and interests. In blogging, we are sharing our thoughts, opinions, likes, dislikes, and giving our readers a peek into our private lives. Through our words we share our personalities. Through our photographs we invite someone in to our world. If they like it, they come back. If they really like it, they comment. Then through these comments conversations can begin and that's exactly where the friendships start.

Think about your friends in your "real life".
How did you become friends?
Is it because you are neighbors? Co workers? Significant others have been friends for a long time?
People we befriend due to circumstance.
Out of all of your "friends", how many are there simply because you met one day and shared common interests? Maybe not that many...and perhaps it is brazen for me to say that those are the only friends that will probably be around for the rest of your life. 

In relation to yesterday's post, I think that is part of our problem.
The majority of the people we surround ourselves with are our friends due to circumstance.
And perhaps that is why it's so easy to say "It's too far" or "I'm too tired" or "I don't feel like it".

I have had the great privilege to meet some of my blog friends in real life. There are others that I would give my eye teeth to spend time with in person. Ironically, the bloggers I consider my good friends don't live lives parallel to mine. In fact, we are all at different stages of life, parenthood, marriage or companionship. We live in different states and sometimes even on opposite sides of the world. We pop in every day or so to touch base and connect. Strengthening bonds that might just last a lifetime.

Have you developed amazing friendships due to blogging? 

p.s Can you all keep my Ryan in your thoughts tomorrow am? She is undergoing a root canal in a baby tooth...not fun!



9 comments:

  1. I may have developed a good friendship with a certain blogger on the other side of the globe ;) And I agree with everything you've written. xx

    Sending love and loads of good vibes to Ryan. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am starting to make (what I consider) to be good friends on the blogosphere.. but I am pretty new at this so I still gotta test the waters. However, I've felt very connected to a lot of people and I totally see where you are coming from. Lovely post by the way :)

    xoxo,
    LMQ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww Ryan! That stinks! Sending well wishes her way!

    I totally agree with your post. Blogging has introduced me to some amazing women who I totally consider friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. poor Ryan!! I hate the dentist with a passion. Nothing good ever happens there...

    I agree. I love my blog friends!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Eleanor! I love all the new friends blogging has introduced me to in the last few months.I am sorry I didn't start sooner! I hope Ryan will be ok:)
    ~Anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes! I totally agree! I've been through IRL friendship ups and downs over the past year or two and quite frankly, I find my blog friends to be more trust-worthy, honest, genuine. They lend constructive criticism, inspire me daily, and accept me without (too much) judgement. I met several amazing girls through blogging and I'm certain these friendships will last a lifetime. When do we get to meet?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The friendships I've made = my favorite part of blogging. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. great post. excellent observations and i think they are all true, at least for me they are.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Totally agree and I have definitely made good friends blogging, some of them I have met and some of them I hope to meet but geography is in the way for now!
    Thinking of your Ryan. My older daughter had a root canal in a baby tooth and it all went fine... She took the next day off I think and had lots of ice cream.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.