Thursday, December 1, 2011

Will Work From Home


Trying to work from home is not what it's cracked up to be. While the perks seem limitless, i.e. staying in pajamas all day, having your kitchen there at your disposal for breakfast and lunch, being able to take a "break" whenever you want...there are some negatives as well. In my case these negatives are almost insurmountable.

I have a project brewing that I thought for sure I would be done with by now. In fact, I gave myself Thanksgiving week as a goal and yet here I sit on December 1st not finished with it yet. Aside from the fact that this project is a lot more work than I ever imagined in the beginning, I find it very hard to focus at home.
As a mother and wife and exceptionally retentive housekeeper, my work around the home is never done. Sure the house may be dusted, vacuumed, bathrooms scoured clean and the laundry baskets may be empty but I spend so much time here now that I can't help but notice when a small cobweb is suddenly clinging to the corner of the ceiling or some dust has accumulated on a baseboard. Changing my sons sheets this morning, I decided to put all of his bedding (including pillows) in the wash. The dogs sleep in his bed with him often enough to make this chore a regular occurence.

When I worked, I shut the door behind me each day and forgot about disarray until I arrived home later. Deeper cleaning and laundry was done on my day "off" (I use the term loosely) as well as any errand running. It's a wonder I fit in any thrift shopping back then at all! I've tried to schedule my day and set time goals for myself as to when I need to be finished doing something and still I find it hard to head into the office and focus knowing that the house is 100%.

This week I have been creating To~Do lists for each day, knocking off everything to be done within Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. This was planned in order to leave Thursday and Friday completely free to focus on my work. While I can confidently say that my house is as picture perfect as it could possibly be right now, I didn't make it into the office until 1pm. I tried blaming my iPhone and the laptop for some of my "time management" issues, but for the past two weeks I have been putting the phone in the office until all chores are done and barely even using the computer other than for working. And still I struggle
.
Until I prioritize into 1. have to do 2. can wait until a later time and 3. What?!?! Who do you think you are Martha Stewart?!?!? I will continue to falter.

Oh wait. Did I just hear the washer stop? Gotta go....

For those of you who work from home, how do juggle your working and housekeeping?

boots: style&co
jeans: express
shirt: jcrew



9 comments:

  1. Wish I can say I worked from home. :) Unfortunately when I am home, I don't want to do any housework. Lucky for me, hubby likes doing laundry AND he folds and irons too. I cook and clean kitchen and we take turn doing the bathrooms. Forget about dusting unless we have company. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is VERY difficult for me with two little kids.

    I unfortunately, have to leave the housework by the wayside. I take care of my kids, keep the house picked up, feed the family and then have to do all of my work once my little ones are asleep.

    I do not love cleaning, but I used to always have a pretty spotless house. Now, I have just had to learn to deal with more dust than I ever used to. It is not fun, but for me, it is the only way I can get everything else done.

    I wait until my husband is home and when he takes the kids out- I clean the house deeply. (Which is not nearly as often as I would like). I also now use Groupon and similar sites to snag up housecleaning deals to help me out.

    It is VERY hard to work from home. I never thought it was- until I lived it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Eleanor! No matter how long you spend cleaning I find you still have to start over again the next day! I don't know where all the dust comes from overnight! Just set aside a few hours to get the necessary done, then leave it and close your office door:)
    ~Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. With the arrival of little D, I've had to let go a LOT. If the dishes are clean, the clothes are clean I'm doing OK. Yesterday, I had to let the disarray go as my eldest needed my time. It almost killed me to sit in the chaos and not tidy, but it was more important for her to have me.

    Also, I'm not completely fussy about the house. I was actually going to write a post about something similar and letting go.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear you sister.
    I work from home and it is very difficult. My job requires very little but I have stacks of filing around me as I speak.
    At home everything but working is a priority. It is very difficult to focus.
    I own an office building that contains my husbands business but when we hired an associate my dreams of a designated work space outside of our house were dashed. Wrecked my wardrobe dreams obviously but it has also made me think about this issue and I have no good solution!
    Even when I tell myself: today it's only my work stuff, no housework, I just can't do it, I find myself washing the quilts or something!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I have what it takes to work from home. My mind wanders too much and I get sidetracked very easily!

    BTW, I just got that top you're wearing. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to be distracted alot. but now I make myself workout/shower/get dressed all before going into my home office at 8;30/9 - where I shut my door and don't come out again until noon//12;30. Then I head back in there at 1-ish and keep the door shut until 3:30/4 when I exit to wear my mommy hat. I feel less frazzled this way b/c I've compartmentalized my work/life somewhat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. First, thanks so much for stopping by Town and Country Mom and leaving a comment! I am so happy to have found your blog! As for working at home, I have just begun a new job in which I am writing from home 16 hours a week and editing in the office two days a week. Like you, I find that I am always tending to household chores in the morning well into the afternoon, and I fear it will only get worse once the house is decorated and there are presents to wrap and goodies to bake and well, I'm sure you get the idea! Please let us know if you come up with any work-at-home tips!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I work from home 3 days a week. I get up early, shower dress and tidy up. At lunch I throw in a load of laundry, or pay bills, maybe run a very quick errand. I work in a spare room, my office ,so I shut out the mess. Then when I log off, about 4, I can reasonably do a few more house chores before supper..the alternate is a 2 hr commute, so i am sure never to abuse the privilege :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.