Thursday, January 12, 2012

And Then I Turned Into My Mother


If you follow me on Instagram (@shoppingcloset it is my iPhone Achilles Heel) then you have already seen my little collage of my childhood for the #janphotoaday challenge presented by that awesome Aussie blogger FatMumSlim. For each day in January you post a picture describing the listed "topic". It is fun, it is creative and I find myself looking forward to adding my two cents each morning.
Last night, my oldest girlfriend (we've been friends since we were 9) sent me a text that she had showed her daughters my childhood collage and they insisted that the picture of my mother holding me on the beach was really me holding my daughter. 
Crazy! Not a week before I posted a picture of us Skyping with mom on Instagram and my bestie Down Under commented how she sees a strong resemblance of me in my mother.
Could it be true???
I never thought I looked like Mom. In fact, people have always said that my sister looks like our mother, the older of my two brothers like my father, and my baby brother and myself most closely resemble each other. But goodness, I'm not complaining.
I've always reflected on how stylish "young" mom always was. In fact I blogged about it two years ago. I guess I just never saw a physical resemblance in myself. I always found our similarities through common interest.  The way I gravitate towards the classic and traditional elements. In the ways we both keep our homes. How I call my children by their first, middle and last names when they are in deep, deep trouble.

So what do you guys think?
Let's just settle this once and for all.
Have I turned into my mother?


mom was a 1st grade teacher before i came along



on her wedding day with my father

 the beach in Sandy Hook, NJ ~ feel free to "ooh" and "ahh" over the adorable baby. ;)

12 comments:

  1. WOW! I see the resemblance. Amazing beauties both you and her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww..your mom is beautiful! I love the picture of her in the little track car with the kids lined up! You two certainly do have a strong resemblance! I no longer have that paul harris sweater! I think my Mom donated it when we were doing a massive closet clean-out before our move into our new house back then....

    ReplyDelete
  3. You definitely resemble your Mom! Beautiful photos:)
    ~Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. You look almost identical! And both mom and daughter are beautiful. Even your style is similar with the classic pieces, clean lines, and color palette. If there was a fun animal print, sleek shoe, or statement jewelry then the pics would definitely be a doppleganger of you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look SO much like her- which is a compliment, because she is beautiful as are you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. amazing blog!!!! every post is wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, you DO look like your mom. what a stylish mom too. love all her looks, esp the trenchcoat and her wedding photo is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Eleanor,

    Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog! I really appreciated it. I enjoyed looking at the old photo's. Your mother looks great on them. I think you DO resemble her indeed.

    Lieve groet,

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, I totally see your mom in you. You're both incredibly gorgeous! She looks so incredible in that last photo, and it totally looks like it could've been taken yesterday. In fact, I think all of these photos still look modern! Your mom was definitely a classic beauty and dresser, and I can see that influence in your sense of style too, though you have more of a rock and roll edge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I'm turning into my mother without a doubt. My little sisters who are still teenagers and still think mom is so lame, think it's hilarious how we're alike now and enjoy each others' company because we used to fight like cats and dogs.

    XO,
    Doux Rousse
    www.douxrousse.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. You already know my thoughts ;). She's a stunner! As are you xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's the jaw line. I share it with you, your mom, and mine. :)

    - Tessa

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.