Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Raising Mr. Sophisticated





 Once or twice a week after work my husband loves to have a whiskey on the rocks. Lately I've been catching him drinking them in our Waterford rocks glasses. Over the New Year's holiday I noticed him serving up the Maker's Mark in the Waterford as well. I find it amusing to see him come from the bar cabinet in our formal living room with the delicate crystal in his hand instead of one of the many everyday rocks glasses we own.
Back in October he asked me why I had bought my baby brother the "nicest beer glasses ever" and why I never bought something like that for him. (They were a house warming/Christmas gift for he and his wife) I was shocked and delighted that he would even notice such a thing that I headed off to Pottery Barn within a week and made sure he got his very own set.

It may not sound strange to you, but these things regularly surprise me. Maybe because I'm talking about the guy who used to sleep over my house almost 12 years ago wearing shirts with so many holes in them I wondered why he bothered at all. A man who was a truck driver in our early years together and went back to school to become a graphic designer. He went from wearing a uniform he dirtied on a daily basis to crisply pressed button ups, dress pants and the occasional wool sweater. The fellow that has always cared less about luxe, yet whisked me away for our first vacation together and spent a fortune on a really nice hotel. Then, on his own, selected a platinum & diamond cocktail ring from the 1930's to propose with.
 Despite all his "sophisticated" changes, at heart he will always be the guy who still gets packages from his mother's rural mountainside home that are filled with petrified bugs and creatures she finds in the woods and is delighted by them.

He's changed a lot in the past 12 years, and so have I.  Deep inside I will always be the "city girl" with champagne taste and he will always be the "country boy" who seems to love a little luxury now and again. I wouldn't have it any other way.

vest, jeans & necklace: express (old)
turtleneck: talbots
boots: style & co
sunglasses: adrienne vittadini

13 comments:

  1. Hi Eleanor! My Waterford crystal is under lock and key in the cabinet! It would end up otherwise chucked on the floor in the lad's bedroom like all the other cola glasses do! Loving your outfit!!
    ~Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. darling post eleanor. i guess we do have an impact on our guys lives. i met mine when i was 17! can you imagine how much we've changed over the years but i still think back to that 17 yr old who just somehow knocked my socks off despite not having a job and having to push start his vw to get it going. thanks for bringing back such delightful memories for me this morning. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. We buy things like fine crystal and then we rarely use them except of special occasions. Why can it be a special occasion every day? So why not use the Waterford crystal and the fine china. Anway, your hubby sounds great. Hubby has expensive taste and never buys anything on sale but then he rarely shops. He prefers quality over quantity and I think I may have to concentrate on that this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh and a very chic outfit if I might say.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love you post and love your outfit! That fur vest is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your fur is soo gorgeous! Such a classic outfit! YOu look fab!

    xx

    Erin @ http://www.trufflesnruffles.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your fur vest with all the cool chain necklaces! I finally got a faux fur vest (after searching for months!) and I can't wait to wear it!


    Ali
    http://editorialistyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. love it. My husband probably would not notice a set of glasses- but he has gained a little bit of style from me. Before me- it was the worst.

    You are so sweet together! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This post made me smile, Eleanor. The line 'I will always be the "city girl" with champagne taste and he will always be the "country boy" who seems to love a little luxury now and again' really hit home for me, as it seems to describe the dynamic in my relationship with BF. He constantly teases me for liking fancier things, while he seems to have simpler tastes.

    His go-to weekend uniform is a paper-thin flannel shirt that was made in the Kingdom of Siam, according to the label. He thrifted the shirt and I imagine it must be at least 60 years old since Thailand hasn't been "Siam" for quite some time. BUT...when we go out or he goes to work, he'll pull out a Brooks Brothers shirt and a sharp suit...also thrifted, but tailored to fit him perfectly.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.