Friday, January 13, 2012

Vintage In A Modern Wardrobe: The Skirt Suit



The skirt suit. It's almost as obsolete as the pant suit nowadays isn't it?
We're such a casual society and thus the thrift stores are laden with racks of pant suits and skirt suits most of them in that old favorite, indestructible fabric: polyester.
Call me old fashioned, but I still religiously search through those racks when I am out and about. And you would be right in guessing that I rarely find that "diamond in the rough".

Then last week...the thrift gods smiled down on me and I found not only what may be called the most gorgeous skirt suit EVER, but quite possibly the best quality one too.
It took me 1.3 seconds to decide exactly how I would wear this suit...not together.
The suit is from Saks Fifth Avenue's house label. It is impeccably made, lined and weighs a ton. In fact the jacket can be worn as just that.
The grey skirt is a classic pencil design and I think we all know how to style a pencil skirt. But that jacket....oh, that jacket....





The jacket becomes the ideal layering piece over a simple turtleneck in a vibrant color. Dress pants would be an excellent alternative to the jeans and give the jacket a whole other look. The flexibility this jacket affords in styling options is almost unlimited.
Can you tell how in love I am with it?

This incredible suit is going into the shop tomorrow morning along with a bunch of amazing goodies...6 pairs of earrings, a leather skirt, a lace pencil skirt and a bevvy of gorgeous vintage dresses.
But this suit?
I wouldn't miss out on this if I was you!

jacket: vintage, saks fifth avenue (part of a suit set with a matching pencil skirt)
turtleneck: jcrew
jeans & fedora: express
boots & bag: coach
earrings: limited (old)

12 comments:

  1. I like that wardrobe.. great fashion you've got there..

    ReplyDelete
  2. this works amazingly... wouldn't have guessed how good it works at first glance!
    xo,
    LMQ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it ! You can tell the jacket is good quality! Enjoy your day:)
    ~Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great on you! I love mixing old and new pieces together.

    Fashion Translated

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. Flashback to the 80s or was it the 90s? Can't remember. Anyway the jacket looks so current on you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your is blog awesome i´ll be back soon.

    http://paquetevistasbien.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. CUTE BLOG! I INVITE YOU TO VISIT MY BLOG AND IF YOU LIKE IT TO FOLLOW ME FROM GOOGLE FRIENDS AND I WILL BE HAPPY TO FOLLOW YOU
    XOXO
    A_C'EST MOI
    LAMODEOUICESTMOI.BLOGSPOT.COM

    ReplyDelete
  8. The jacket looks great on you! What a super find!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful photos and outfit! :)

    http://liberty-walk-sara.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have such a soft spot for skirt suits, haha. It just looks so put together and powerful! I love your take on the suit jacket though -- it looks chic and casual! And I have to say that you totally rock a fedora.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wauw this is very chique. We like it

    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. so chic and so refined. I just love how you paired the jacket with denim and a pop of red! x

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.