Sunday, February 19, 2012

I Love New York

New Jersey gets a bad rap.
Television has portrayed the Garden State in some very not~so~nice ways. It's true that we move extremely quickly and get easily annoyed with slowpokes. It's also true that we tawk funny, and I, myself even admit to pronouncing words like coffee as cawfee. Many of us are loud and move our hands wildly when we speak because if we didn't you might not understand just how important the thing we are telling you is. But we don't all hang out at Karma (I live a mere 5 minutes from the joint and I have never, ever been there!) and spend our days at the gym, tanning salon or tucked away in our McMansions adding tons of drama to everyday situations. In fact, I own a Cape Cod style house and there is not one McMansion in my neighborhood (thank goodness!)
Having been born and raised here my entire life, there are some things about NJ that simply can't be beat. The eastern side of our state is nothing but endless beaches. Atlantic City is a reasonable drive from any part of the state. In under two hours I can be in the Pocono Mountains of Pennsylvania snowboarding my little heart out. From where I reside, I am equal distance from both New York and Philadelphia which basically equals options people....options.
Of course, living inbetween two major US cities causes some rifts. You are either a New York sports fan or a Philly sports fan. There is no mix or match there...you are strictly one or the other. Philly folk tend to vacation in the southern part of the New Jersey Shore while the New Yorkers stick mostly to the northern half. People definitely have their favorite city too. Perhaps it's because both my mother and father's sides settled there after emigrating from both Scotland and Ireland, but I have always been and always will be a New York girl at heart.
Ironically, with all the time I have spent in NYC over the past 30 some odd years, I have never done any of the typically touristy things that most people do. Certainly we go to Rockefeller Center at Christmas time to see the tree and window shop up and down 5th Avenue, but I have never skated while seeing the tree, been inside Central Park, or even gone inside the Empire State Building. Can you believe I have never even been to The Statue of Liberty?
My girlfriend and I decided to take our children to New York on Friday to do all sorts of sightseeing.We obtained tickets to go to the 9/11 Memorial, because we both wanted to see it and felt it was important that the children see it too. We thought it was high time the kids saw the Empire State Building and Greenwich Village since that is where my friend and I spent so much time in our teens. That is exactly what we did:


St.Paul's Church






Trinity Church






Ground Zero





St.Mark's Place in Greenwich Village




Empire State Building


My favorite parts were seeing St.Paul's Church and Trinity Church. They were both incredibly beautiful and so full of history. Definitely a do not miss if visiting NYC. The 9/11 Memorial was moving especially since it has impacted the lives of so many people we have known and met. I was sad because the Village looked so run down to me and so many shops have been shuttered in the many years since I have been there. The kids got a kick out of shopping at Trash and Vaudeville and seeing some of the unique people you spot on the streets there. 
There really is no place like New York!




12 comments:

  1. What an interesting day you had. And such good weather! Never been to NY myself. I hope to visit one day :-)

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely an experience everyone should have! Thanks you for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I definitely want to see the 9/11 Memorial. The only two times I've been we're still during the construction phase. But I'll tell you, taking the PATH into the city and coming in to that stop makes you take a step back at the VASTNESS of the area.

    I'd love to see more of the tucked away neighborhoods. I'm def calling on you for a tour next time I visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love NY and NJ!

    I have family scattered about both states and I love being there. I always have a wonderful time. I have not been back in 6 years and it makes me sad.

    Glad you had fun with your kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's high time you pay a visit!!!!

      Delete
  4. Lovely photos! Would love to visit sometime:)
    ~Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You should definitely come visit...you're kids would love it!

      Delete
  5. Looks like a great day! I can't wait to go back to NYC one day. It's been 18 years!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's far too long in my book...you need to come back NOW!!!!

      xoxo

      Delete
  6. NYC is one of my favorite and most traveled cities I've been to. I always thought I'd move there but somehow it didn't work out that way. My sister lived there for 3 years but after a while she hated it. Too bad. IT was nice to visit her but now she lives in Boston. It's not the same. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Boston simply for the fact that it is a very livable city with a family. Not that NY isn't, but coming from the 'burbs Boston would be less of a culture shock for people like us!

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.