Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Work Out Wear

Today is yet another day of stellar weather and I am virtually bursting of energy, motivation and complete happiness. It's amazing what a little warm air and sunshine can do! This morning I needed to buckle down and get my husband's oil changed in his car...I've been promising to do it since Monday. Tomorrow I have a business meeting in the nether~reaches of NJ (Crazy things are occurring here...I'll tell you when I can!), so both cars will need to be utilized. Since I had already agreed to spend the afternoon with my girlfriend in our favorite walking place, I decided to just wear my workout clothes to the oil change. "Why not" I reasoned? I was just going to be sitting in a grimy garage waiting for my car, right?
As I sat there waiting, I started thinking about what forms of workout apparel are acceptable to wear out and about, if at all? Let's just be honest, a lot of workout pants leave very little to the imagination and I can attest to seeing more faux pas's than I can successes. Every once in a great while I will spot a woman that looks fresh and pulled together wearing workout clothing. Brands like Lululemon have really cute pieces that almost make it a shame to utilize them only when sweating profusely. However, it seems that most times people are wearing raggedy, mixed matched pieces that scream "slob" rather than "adorable".
I firmly believe that it has nothing to do with body type, but it has everything to do with quality and fit. Rear ends can be hidden under a longer length top so thoughts of low fat dairy products (you know what I mean!) don't come to mind. Whether small busted or large busted, there are tops to accommodate and still remain tasteful. As for myself, I have very short muscular legs, and you will never catch me dead in cropped yoga pants or those horrible gaucho styles. As in regular clothing, not all styles are flattering for all women.
When I got home I googled celebrities wearing workout clothes to see if there were more "do's" rather than "don'ts".  Here are a few of my favorites:


Kim Kardashian and I have almost identical builds. For a very curvy girl, I think she looks pretty good in this ensemble. These are the kind of yoga pants I wear too. Black only with a slight flare/bootcut bottom. The longer length of the top elongates the torso which short waisted ladies like myself, appreciate.


Listen, if I had legs miles long like Elle Macpherson, you can bet your bottom dollar (big bottomed in mine and Kim's case) that I would rock these leggings too. I find nothing offensive about this; in fact I even love how the scarf adds a funky little pop. I always try to wear a cute baseball cap or military cap with my workout wear and I ALWAYS have a cute studded earring on too. Accessorizing can really make a difference! 


Nicole Richie's leather jacket and chic shades take this otherwise plain Jane look to a whole other level. I personally think she looks cute and if I saw her walking down the street in this I would probably give her a high five for maintaining her level of eclecticism while in on her way to an appointment with her personal trainer.

Am I condoning workout wear as outfits for wearing outside of the home on a regular basis? Definitely not! I've rambled on and on about how sad it is that people don't dress themselves or seem to take pride in their appearances these days. Nothing will ever look as amazing as a well put together, stylish woman will look walking down the street.
What I AM saying, is that in a pinch or on a quick stop to or from a workout, you can still look good. It just needs to be done in the same fashion in which you dress yourself with your regular wardrobe. Some thought, effort and investment in properly fitting clothes can make all the difference. So ladies, I'm dying to know:

What do you think? Is workout wear a never, ever or acceptable in a pinch when done right?


17 comments:

  1. I do not like it at all. HOWEVER, I have totally gone out in yoga pants and a t-shirt...more than I would like to admit.

    I think that it is not just about how you present yourself (which is important), but I also think it puts you in a better mood when you look nice. Not that nice has to be hard, but a bit of detail goes a long way.

    After I had my 2nd kid- for about 6 weeks I was in a lull. I mean, granted, I just had a baby, but I was getting depressed. I was feeling sloppy and messy and decided to just not go out in workout wear anymore. Yes, it took a bit to figure out how to get ready with 2 littles needing me- but my mood instantly improved and I felt better about myself and I think it helped me lose the baby weight faster too.

    Not to say that I will never go out in bummy clothes again- I know it will happen, but I try not to whenever I can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It DOES make a huge difference in how we view ourselves the care we put into dressing...but lately between working out and just being around the house it is almost silly to bother and fuss. If THAT makes any sense at all...

      Delete
  2. Love this post!!!! I'm so guilty of wearing workout gear a ton...although I'm at the gym at least once a day...usually twice. I am a huge lululemon gal...almost always in a running skirt and an athletic deep-V top. I usually throw a zip up Nike jacket over the top because I am sort of busty and the deep-V is deep enough I feel self conscious about it.

    The only thing I strongly dislike in regards to workout gear is when there is a visible panty line...which always turns into a visible sweat outline. SO GROSS!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think running skirts are adorable but I wouldn't feel comfortable in one. Instead I just look at women like you with envy!

      Delete
  3. lovely choices and good taste.

    http://paquetevistasbien.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been guilty of running to the grocery store after working out and not thinking twice about it. But I couldn't just wear workout wear "to wear" during the day. Honestly, I don't even like to wear gym shoes if I'm not out exercising.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I firmly believe in workout footwear and fashion footwear. If I am going to wear sneakers then I opt for stylish ones like my old school Kangaroos or something like that. Even if I am running out in yoga pants I take off the white trainers and put on my grey North Face sneakers...something about the white that sticks out so bad.

      Delete
  5. I was looking at some gorgeous yoga pants the other day and then I came across some fab wedge trainers online.I could only wear the pants if I had a bit of height on the heel!! I feel frumpy in flat trainers for some reason:) I love the inspiration photos you have posted!
    ~Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I struggle with flat shoes too, they make me feel frumpy as well. I am always more comfortable in heels than flats!

      Delete
  6. Nicole Ritchie always gets it right doesn't she?. Funny seeing Elle M coming down those steps! We used to live in Notting Hill right opposite that school (Weatherbys) and Diana sent her boys there too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole Ritchie DOES have it going on...and you lived in Notting Hill??? One of my favorite movies of the 90's! Made that part of London look like an AMAZING place to live!

      Delete
  7. I love good workout wear, but am a big believer in function over fashion in this (very rare for me) instance. Kim K's look is chic, but any workout top that shows cleavage probably isn't doing it's job. This also reminds me that i need new yoga pants.... bah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Support is definitely a HUGE thing...no one needs to see unnecessary flopping around!

      Delete
  8. This is a good common sense Blog. Very helpful to one who is just finding the resources about this part. It will certainly help educate me.

    Online Women’s Fashion

    ReplyDelete
  9. Man I like your post and it is so good and I am definitely going to save it. One thing to say the In-depth analysis this article has is truly remarkable. No one goes that extra mile these days? Bravo!! Just one more tip you can get a Translator for your Worldwide Audience !!!

    Online Women’s Fashion

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.