Monday, March 12, 2012

May I Take Your Order?






Having to wear a dress code based on color is a wonderful thing for someone like me who is embracing the "less is more" mindset. I just cannot justify buying myself something I won't be able to wear to work.
However, being allowed to only wear all black or black and white can be a little tricky. Black on black can go totally wrong if the fabrics and textures are amiss. Black and white when not pulled together properly can look like a food service uniform. So what's a girl to do?
Accessories people, accessories!
I've had this dress for many years and have always worn it with a white button up underneath. (Collar popped as always!) To keep from looking too uniform~y, I have worn it with patterned belts and big chunky baubles. In this reincarnation I decided a buffalo check scarf and loads of pretty bangles made it more hipster than "did you want fries with that?"

dress: limited
shirt: jcrew
scarf & tights: express
bangles & belt: ny&co
watch: citizen
bracelet & ring: tiffany's
shoes: style and co
sunglasses: adrienne vittadini

7 comments:

  1. Love how you combined the white and black combo and completely agree on accessories! I love and design jewelry and it's the best thing to add to an outfit :)

    Red Soles and Red Wine

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! Very chic. You look great and black has been the one staple since my teenage years. That will never change.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the gingham scarf with this outfit - so cute!

    Annie
    The Other Side of Gray

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sporting different shades of black is a pet peeve of mine, probably because I've done it myself so many times! And I agree on black and white - such a chic combo, but needs to be done carefully. My company held an event last year where we all had to wear white button-downs with black bottoms - and we were totally mistaken for the service staff all evening!

    ReplyDelete
  5. totally agree with this. You look so chic in this black and white ensemble. The accessories are so smartly done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. well since i have to wear head to toe black to work, no white allowed, i can relate. but my "uniform" is yoga pants and an aveda tshirt and bare feet, in my treatment room. there isn't a lot i can do with that. no nail polish or jewelry either. i used to work in kitchens and then i got to wear black and white. to this day i cannot wear a white shirt with black pants just for the reasons you state. i do like white pants and black tops though.

    oh and you look gorgeous as always and love the scarf, it's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This dress is PERFECT for your shape!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.