Thursday, March 15, 2012

My Fat Story, Part 1





Most of the time I write here with my tongue firmly placed in my cheek. I am a believer in gentle comic relief or silly sarcasm. I have drama pop up in my life from time to time as you all do. There are days I find myself inconsolably cranky as well as days spent with my stomach in knots with worry and stress. My favorite days are the ones when I feel pure bliss for no reason other than the fact that I live a blessed existence.

I keep the dark and negative as far away from this place as I can because I never started writing this blog to be a platform for my moods. Of course, the real life things pop through here and there. I am a real person of course!  I don't think I give the impression that my life is perfect. I'm just like every single one of you ~ my moods range from happy to sad, loved to lonely, joy to disappointment...I trust you get where I am coming from.

Something I have not shared with all of you is how desperately unhappy I have been with my body for far too long now. Did you chuckle to yourself and say "then why do you take pictures of yourself on a regular basis?" Because you would have every right to. It sounds ridiculous doesn't it? I could just imagine the headline if I was a tabloid worthy soul, "Vain "style" blogger bitches about her looks after posting loads of pictures of herself everyday". I would pick it up and give it a go through in the checkout lane myself.

I'm not writing this to garner compliments, or comments. Nor am I writing this to whine about the whole situation. I'm telling you this because I am in the process of doing something about it. And I decided a while back that I wanted to share something with all of you.
My Fat Story.
I'm not referring to my current state. Many, many years ago I was overweight, took matters into my own hands, lost it all and then some. Over the past 7 years I have gained about 30 pounds and I have finally said enough is enough. It's time to change my lifestyle and mindset for good. I am not looking to lose 30 pounds. Thirty pounds ago I was often told I was too skinny. Probably because I existed on Red Bull, coffee and yogurt. I don't need to be a size 0 or 00 again...but when my size 4 dress no longer fits? I pick up the phone and say "Houston, we've got a problem."

Instead of picking up the phone, I utilized this amazing community of bloggers and reached out to the wonderful Anne who's blog I have been reading for quite some time. Anne is in incredible shape, teaches classes at her local gym and when she posted about putting her husband on a fitness plan, I knew I needed her to put me on one too. Even if it is long distance and through the interwebs. Although she just moved halfway across the country and juggles 3 young children she obliged. See, I told you blog friends are best!

On Sunday I started Anne's diet plan. She suggested I not worry about working out because the diet is so restrictive and tough to stick to, but I'm no quitter. I can do this. At Anne's suggestion, I started running 2 weeks ago and haven't quit yet. Nor have I quit or cheated on her plan which has eliminated all sugar and carbs from my diet. That means no wine, minimal portions of fruit, and tons and tons of protein. I eat every 3 hours as the goal is to retrain my metabolic system. Deny it sugar so it has no option but to burn fat. It's not rocket science, but with all the crap in processed foods and false labels guaranteeing healthy living it's easy to be fooled. I was.

I love to drink and make merry. Husband and I both love to cook and entertain. As we age, the old tricks I used to rely on after a "binge" no longer work. And it totally sucks. And now that I shared this with all of you, I really have no choice but to make it happen or you will all be asking yourselves,
"What the hell happened?"

Tomorrow I will share my story on my past and why this is so important to me now.
Thanks for listening.

skirt: jcrew #2 pencil
shirt: old, old ny&co
scarf: ?
heels: bandolino
bracelets: jcrew and express
ring: gifted by an old friend in high school
sunglasses: banana republic

9 comments:

  1. Hey good luck! You have no idea how much this change affects your life for the positive. Its a long drawn out process and takes a lot of work, but in the end when you get to your comfort you realize it's all worth it!

    You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you look HOT in this body. But I understand. People tell me I'm tiny and I'm still not satisfied with my body - I dont need to lost pounds just tone up some areas and flatten some. We are are own worst critics. Good luck on the diet, Maybe you can have one celebratory drink on Saturday to celebrate st patty's day? ;)PEER PRESSURE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lost about 20 pounds in high school by jogging in place and eating only apples and the like. I don't think I am bad now, but I've noticed the weight slowly creep up in the years since college and wonder where all my willpower has gone. I am trying to eat better now and be more active but it is a long slow road - hopefully your story will help motivate me, you're not in this alone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey lady. You look great already but good for you to take control of your life. You CAN do this and as someone who's been there, I'll be right there to support you. To me exercise is key to being healthy and eating (almost) whatever you want. Of course, healthy eating is key too. If you keep up the running, maybe we can meet for a 5k race some time in the future. Good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bravo to you for working on being healthy! You are gorgeous to begin with but I know all too well it's how YOU feel about yourself regardless of what others say.

    Your strength for following through is encouraging to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No one likes to lose weight. Good for you for sticking to your plan to be healthy. I miss the good old days of youth when we did not have to worry about this stuff.

    I know you can do it and we will all be here to cheer you on!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You go girl!!!!!
    I think you are already gorgeous, I love a good shape in a woman.
    But when you do not feel happy yourself, it is indeed time to take matters in you own hands.
    Keep believing and drink tea, lots of herbal tea. My secret.... :-)
    Bisou Anna

    ReplyDelete
  8. good luck, lady! it appears that you're in the right frame of mind and that you're inspired. your attitude is infectious! i can't wait to hear more and follow along with you, on this journey... ps. i may have to give mark anne's husband's plan!! (did you follow that?)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.