Sunday, March 4, 2012

Projections






Saturday just felt good.
The forecast for wet and dingy weather was instead a reality of warm, dry, beautiful sunny skies. The fine weather was so infectious that I couldn't help but feel warm and sunny on the inside too. My great mood translated into a smile on my face, boundless energy and a longer tether of patience than I usually have when out and about running errands.
My inner happiness was met with smiles and pleasant banter through my travels. A stranger saying "Oh, go ahead of me in line you have much less than I do" a cashier complimenting me on my handbag and asking where I got it (the Tillary of course!) and an overall air of kindness and well being surrounded my every move.
Coincidence? I think not....
A while back I was zooming around Target with my shopping cart in a rush and generally irritated by everyone who kept getting in my way. And everyone was getting in my way that day. I noticed that I passed this same elderly gentleman a few times from aisle to aisle and each time he kept looking at me. He eventually approached me and said, "You are very beautiful. You would be a great deal prettier if you smiled though."
At first I bristled at his comment. Sure, I knew I was tearing through the place looking as irritated as I felt. I'm sure my exasperated sighs were more than audible when I came across those "aisle blockers" and slowpokes who were hampering my rush. But, who was this man to pass a comment or even care?
In reality, I couldn't help but smile in response to his comment, blush a little and thank him for the compliment, however backhanded it may have been. When I did smile, his face lit up and he pointed his finger at me and said, "Now that's what I am talking about!"
After having such an enjoyable day yesterday and seeing the warm response my great mood received from everyone around me it really got me thinking about how we project ourselves. Perception is reality 99% of the time, isn't it? Of course I am a realist and know that I will never be a Pollyanna type 100% of the time. But I also believe in mind over matter and the power of thought.
What I haven't told you all was that I was very cranky when I woke up yesterday. It was wet and gloomy out. I was tired and irritable and sat down for a few moments in quiet and decided that I was not going to spend my day feeling that way. The conscious choice for happiness is what truly righted my mood and the change in weather was an added bonus that simply complimented it.
Today is grey and colder. My house is messy and I woke up to dishes left over from last night. I thought I had finished doing all the laundry when the kids churned out another couple of loads they must have been hoarding somewhere in their rooms. But sitting here right now I am choosing to put a smile on my face, rally the troops to help me get this place pulled together so we can have an amazing day together like we did yesterday. 
We don't know what will happen tomorrow, so why waste today?

How do you right your bad moods?

leather jacket: donna karan
blouse: ny&co
scarf , earrings & jeans: express
shoes: jcrew
sunglasses: banana republic



9 comments:

  1. eleanor the first thing i thought when i saw the first picture was that how beautiful you are when you smile! you are beautiful in all your pics but this great big smile is just gorgeous. my bf always tells me to smile more on my blog and i don't know why i don't.

    i can relate to your day in target. some days are just like that but when we think about it, what is the hurry? omg, i need to remind myself of this daily.

    sunshine always helps my mood. i don't do well in gloomy weather. luckily for me today is bright and sunny and clear as a bell.

    thanks for sharing your lovely life with us all.

    xo
    janet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet, you are too kind!
      I always prefer sunshine, but sometimes I need to downtime a dreary day affords. It's like it gives you permission to remain indoors and unwind while the sun always makes me feel as though I should be outside enjoying it!
      I hope you have a great week!

      Delete
  2. first- I am obsessed with your outfit. Simply perfect.

    second- I am still working on the choosing your own attitude thing. I really need to work on that actually. I wake up grumpy and it is just really hard to get over myself. Your story is a good reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was perfect for running errands and going out to lunch with the family.
      I still struggle with the choose your attitude thing too...even after a lightbulb moment like I had this weekend. It is just too easy to get wrapped up in crankiness isn't it?

      Delete
  3. It's amazing what a smile can do. In my 20s, I had a perpetual frown on my face and people, but now I try to smile as much as I can and people do notice.

    It's hard to get out of a morning funk. I try my best but sometimes the grump factor wins.

    As usual, you look great and hope you're having fun in your new job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      I am more of a morning person anyway, I get extremely irritable at night but that's probably because I am up at the crack of dawn and just exhausted! :)

      Delete
  4. I always tell myself I could cancel whatever plans I have, or get up, get moving and see how I feel. 99% of the time, I end up in a great mood, getting things accomplished. Sometimes it just takes moving forward!

    Www.independentmrs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that! We get grumpy about things we have to do when in reality maybe they're sometimes things we don't really have to do...hmmm...some great food for thought!
      Thanks!

      Delete
  5. a pajama day can go along way to fixing a frown..... but for a quick fix I go see a movie and always feel better!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.