Sunday, April 1, 2012

Life Lately


On March 23rd our family was delighted to welcome it's newest member, my niece Lily Jacqueline. I know I am partial, but seriously, my brother and sister in law make the cutest babies. She has already stolen my heart and all it took was her opening her eyes and staring at me the first time I held her. I cannot even begin to describe the love I feel for my nieces. They hold pieces of my heart I didn't even know existed.


I'm getting really good at running! 
I can run over 2 miles now with no walk breaks!
It's the most empowering thing I have ever done for myself, and when I think that at almost 39 years old I can make my body do pretty much anything I train it to, is the most empowering thought of all!
I am debating entering a 5k in June in the town we used to reside in. The run is mostly along a river and in all the years I lived there I never dreamed I would one day be considering to be a part of this annual event!


I'm still maintaining my new diet about 95% of the time.
I've cheated a wee bit here and there with a very small glass of wine or a single cocktail. I came down with a terrible croupy cough over a week ago so I took a break from the running (only because husband forced me to) and diet (needed grilled cheese and soup) for a few days until I felt better. I don't miss the foods I have eliminated, and when I want a bit of wine on the weekend I use my smallest wine glass and limit myself to one half glass.
I'm only human and in reality there were nights I would drink 1/2 to even a whole bottle by myself after work.
But no more.
My clothes all fit so much better and the sized up pants I ordered for work are way too big. In fact, a pair of the Minnie pant from JCrew was backordered and when it arrived I had to exchange it for a size down.
Winning feels too good to look back now!


Work is amazing.
My job is doing everything I dreamed of doing and more. Sure it has it's frustrating moments, but nothing is perfect. 


And it's pretty cool when I get phone calls asking me to change my schedule and head into Manhattan to help with things in the company's flagship store!


My job takes me to the nether~reaches of northern New Jersey and parts of New York I have never been. I am in places everyday that are more urban than this "shore girl" has ever experienced. Some of these spots make NYC seem tame! On more than one occasion I find myself saying, "We're not in Kansas anymore...."


The traffic can be unbearable and I have had some real doozy rides home. In fact, this past Friday night, it took me 3 hours to get home after I left work. It's frustrating and demoralizing, but it doesn't happen every day. I have to be a bit better at planning my exits, and probably need to get to work as early as possible some days so I can be on the road before the nightmares begin.
But even when I get stuck, nature has a way of showing us to take a breath, slow down and appreciate the simple things. Like this glorious sunlight overhead on a recent night.

What's been happening in your life lately?

7 comments:

  1. I love this update. Have been think of you. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi eleanor!!!

    how awesome about your running. that is great. i urge you to enter the 5k, it will be so fun. i can't believe that i ever entered and finished a marathon but i did and let me tell you, after that, i felt as if there wasn't Anything i couldn't accomplish if i set my mind to it. love this update. xo janet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute baby! Congratulations to your whole family!
    It sounds like you're doing awesome. Good job cutting back on the wine, I've done the same in these last weeks and what a difference it makes. I'm having ONE glass on weekend nights and none during the week, replacing it with some healthy snacks instead, feeling much better.
    Go for the 5k! I was a distance runner in my youth and I still miss it.
    Your job sounds amazing and I hope the traffic is better this week, or that you'll be able to avoid it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kharidari
    I was searching Shopping store. During in search i found you site and i saw it is very beautiful site/blog and designed very well. I feel compelled to be given feedback on this Blog/Site, Because i really like It. Now i save your site in my Favorite sites list and now i visited it daily properly. keep updating. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have missed you in the blog world!

    Sounds like exciting things are happening all around you lately. Your niece is really cute. She has a perfect little head and cheeks that were made to be kissed and squeezed!

    I am still in awe of your mysterious job...you show us these amazing pictures of your crazy long drives and I am just imagining what your days are filled with...

    I am glad you are keeping your diet on a 95% route. I think too much diet with zero indulgence will just lead to failure. A glass here and there and some comfort when you need it most is healthy and will keep your soul fed.

    Have a wonderful week!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your niece is adorable! Glad you are enjoying the new job, even with the long days and driving involved! Congrats on sticking to the healthy diet:)
    ~Anne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lily is so gorgeous!! You must be a proud auntie!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.