Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Tagged

summer 2009 emerald isle, nc

My friend Pamela tagged me yesterday to answer these 11 questions about myself, so here goes!

What reality show would you be on?
Realistically, House Hunters (does that count?) but I love me some Mob Wives! I can't get enough of Big Ang and I'm Team Drita for sure!

What was your first concert?
New Order, PIL and The Sugarcubes (Bjork's band) at the Meadowlands (Giant's Stadium) here in NJ in 1988. Seeing Johnny Rotten from The Sex Pistols strut out on that stage and yell, "Do you want my body?" was a dream come true for this little punk rock chick.
*True fact: I have seen New Order in concert more than any other band! Probably seen them 4 or 5 times in life!

What was your first job?
In a clothing store of course! I have always worked in apparel and interiors. At 15 it was the clothing store close to home or Burger King and I opted for clothing never guessing that my future in apparel retail was being set at such a young age!

Coke or Pepsi?
I don't drink soda at all but if pressed to pick? Pepsi definitely!

What celebrity would play you in your life story?
I would say Drew Barrymore. In my younger years I used to be told constantly that I looked like her and I admire her for raising herself, turning her life around and becoming a confident, self supportive woman.

What would be the theme song to your life story?
All my life by Echo and The Bunnymen. If you listen to the lyrics it is perfect and they have been one of my favorite bands since the mid 80's.

Have you ever played sick to get out of doing something you didn't want to do?
Yes!
In 2005 my husband and I were in Vermont looking at real estate for a week. We were debating moving to Burlington as we had just sold our home here. We booked a free standing cottage at a B&B outside of town and the owners were a bit on the odd side. One night after coming back all the power was out in our cottage so the guy offered us a room inside. We were already displeased with some things about their place and then he led us down this hallway and into a room that made me think of The Shining. He was discussing us staying there with my husband when I piped up and said that I wasn't feeling well and that we had better go get a hotel in town because I only have one kidney and needed to be closer to a hospital. True that I have one kidney, but I was feeling fine. I was just afraid he was going to murder us in our sleep!

What are you looking forward to this summer?
We have a long weekend at a beach house planned with my favorite people in the world and I cannot wait for that! Living 5 minutes from the Atlantic, I spend my summers at the beach! I love to go to the local farmer's market every week and cook amazing things, drink tons of Vinho Verde and just bask in the sunlight!
We will also be going away at the end of summer for a weeks vacation to see my in laws. It should be a busy one!

Do you have a library card?
Yes!
And I use it!

Do you know how to drive stick/manual transmission?
You bet!
I learned to drive stick in high school just so I could drive my friends and myself to Taco Bell. Seriously! I taught myself simply so we could make after school runs to the border when my mom's car was in the driveway!

What advice would you give to a college freshman?
I will be the mother of one in just over a year! Yikes!
I went to college for 2 weeks and dropped out because I hated school, period. I have no regrets because I believe that at that age no one really knows what they want to do for the rest of their life. I loved working retail and never imagined it would become a lucrative, lifetime career for me. I know tons of people with degrees that they do nothing with. So I would say this:

We live in a country that allows you the chance to make of yourself whatever it is you want to be. As long as you are willing to work for it. Nothing comes for free. Education or not, there are endless possibilities out there. It all depends on what you are willing to do and your focus and determination. If you are looking for the "easy way" or a handout, or feel a sense of unearned entitlement, get ready for a lifetime of disappointments.
Life is what you make of it.

Thanks Pamela for inviting me to join the fun!


6 comments:

  1. Love reading stories of other peoples lives. You Totally Rock!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so funny about the b and b. glad you left b/c you never really know what would have happened!!!

    love your college advice too. well put. xo janet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always love reading your writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, your story about "playing sick" made me LOL!

    I also love your advice. Truth be told I added that one in because my niece is going to college in fall and would love to compile advice from smart women to give to her to read. I love what you had to say and it's so true, true, true!!!!
    Thanks for playing along!

    ReplyDelete
  5. fascinating stuff indeed ....happy easter!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous photos of you and your husband, you look so carefree and happy. I'm impressed that you use your library card. After many fines and turning up to closed doors, Im afraid I haven't used mine in years. My fondest memories of my childhood were Friday nights going to the library and then stopping for a bar of chocolate.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.