Tuesday, April 17, 2012

The Thriftanista






The only negative about my new job other than the occasional 3 hour commute (One way! And can you believe it happened again Monday morning?) is how it has seriously cramped my thrift shopping. Having my days off be the same days the rest of the family is home makes it hard for me to go. I feel bad if I don't take advantage of spending my time off with them. Not that I need to be stuffing my closets with more nonsense anyway. I just love the thrill of the hunt and I have been pretty good at editing down the finds to only buy the real "treasures".

Saturday morning I had to go to the post office to mail some things I had sold. Husband was home happily doing yard work and the kids had plans, so I decided to take advantage of the time to myself and hit 2 of my favorite thrift stores while I was out. My first stop turned out two great dresses for work, (one which was brand new with tags) as well as two fabulous necklaces; one of which I am wearing in these photos. The second stop turned out two A~mazing vintage maxi dresses that are truly one of a kind finds. 

 After the thrifts I had to go to Target  for some household/family odds and ends and I spent an hour pushing my cart around in silence. Browsing slowly up and down every aisle I felt so inclined to check out. No one was whining about going down the toy aisle or looking at video games. No one was telling me to hurry up or pouting because they wanted to go home. The simple chance to spend a little bit of time indulging one of my favorite hobbies felt incredible. Taking my time running a necessary errand was pleasurable. It reminded me how we all need to allow ourselves to escape and have some private time now and again. Doing so makes us a little bit "better" version of ourselves so in the end everyone wins.

What do you do when you need some time to yourself?

blazer: ny&co
sweater tank: tommy hilfiger
skirt: limited
necklace: vintage, thrifted
sunglasses: ny&co 
heels: bandolino
bracelet & ring: tiffany's
watch: citizen

4 comments:

  1. I found your blog from Leigh's...I saw your comment that you live at the Jersey Shore. I live there also! I'm right near Asbury :) You look so chic in black and white! Following now!

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh i'm jealous when i hear about 2 vintage maxi dresses! i cannot wait to see them eleanor! i haven't been shoppping of any kind in a couple of weeks, been too busy too. my garden is where i go to get away from myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that black & white striped skirt - so cute!

    Annie
    The Other Side of Gray

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the necklace. And totally agree about having me time. We all need it :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.