Friday, August 31, 2012

Good Eats

reading on the porch

Aside from our shared love of flea markets, my mother in law and I both like to cook.
This means we both love and appreciate fresh, local ingredients too.
The night we arrived she had piping hot eggplant parmigiana waiting made with eggplants from the garden.
I couldn't have asked for a better meal after so much travel.

Tuesday afternoon I was sitting on the front porch reading when a car came winding up the driveway. Behind the wheel was a woman who looked like Mary Kay herself except I knew it wasn't only because she wasn't driving a pink cadillac. A little chihuahua wearing a polka dot dress with a tulle skirt was jumping all around the front seat as this woman climbed out of the car. In a sing~songy Southern drawl she yelled out, "I got some Turtle Stew here for ya'all!"
That's when my stomach did a series of back flips and a chill ran down my spine.
Turtle Stew?
I never....
At dinner I politely refused a bowl but spent the meal being chastised by my husband and son who claimed it to be "delicious".
After much teasing and taunting, I cracked and tried a spoonful.
It was delicious!
Reminiscent of a beef stew or a chunky beef soup, the flavors were pleasant and the texture was exactly like a tender, shredded beef.

turtle stew

Turtle wasn't the only first for me on this trip.
I had a venison burger for lunch one afternoon and that was delicious too!
Another night, my father in law deep fried a turkey.
I've heard about how amazing deep fried turkey is, but had yet to experience it myself.
Boy, oh boy....I was not disappointed!

deep fried turkey

The following day I made everyone my Day After Thanksgiving Sandwiches.
Sourdough bread toasted with a thick layer of cranberry jelly on both ends and filled with leftover turkey and stuffing.

day after thanksgiving sandwich ~ mmmmm!

On our last night we had deep fried catfish, another first and another success.
Next time I would like to try it grilled or broiled to capture the true flavor of it.

deep fried catfish

Lunch and dinner weren't the only amazing meals.
My father in law made tons of blueberry and peach jam and I happily slathered it all over any carb I could find.
Fortunately, he sent us home with 3 jars of each flavor.
Unfortunately, I can't make up my mind so I have one of each opened right now and have a bit of each in the morning.

dad's homemade jams

My kids even pitched in the kitchen making monkey bread one afternoon.
There was no fighting or arguing, they helped each other and seemed to really enjoy themselves.

don't see this sight too often!

And I enjoyed the fruits of their labor....


Do you enjoy trying new things to eat or do you hear the name of something and shy away?
and
What's the most exotic thing you have ever eaten?


2 comments:

  1. I like trying regional dishes, but am not as brave as you! Now, the jam... That's right up my alley!

    Your time away with family sounds so wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like such an amazing break away.

    I'm very adventurous when it comes to eating. I've had crocodile, kangaroo, emu, possum, camel, snake. The only thing I've been presented with that I couldn't eat was fertilised chicken eggs at my brother's wedding in Vietnam. This little beak and the feathers in the egg... I just couldn't!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.