Monday, August 27, 2012

Road Trip: Off to the Log Cabin in the Woods


On the evening of August 17th my husband and I left NJ to begin the looong drive to his parents home in South Carolina.
We decided to head to Northern Virginia that night to stay with my (bestest) aunt and uncle in order to knock about 4 hours off the trip and make Saturday a bit more bearable.
It had been a crazy week here; I stayed in NY at my brother and sister in law's a few nights due to work demands. I literally came home Thursday night and took my stuff from one suitcase and put it in another.
I live out of luggage lately.
Since I was gone most of the week, I had a ton of stuff to do last minute around the house (clean the fridge out, drop the dogs to the kennel, last minute laundry..etc) besides try to pack for a week in rural SC.
I don't know about you, but packing casual attire is challenging for me. I am not a t-shirt and sneakers kind of gal so in the 11th hour I was still putting things in and pulling things out of the suitcase because I couldn't make any sound decisions and was terrified that I would be "uncomfortable" all week.
As a result, I ended up over packing both clothing, shoes and accessories.
Sigh....
When we finally headed out about 45 minutes after I originally intended, we got about 40 minutes into our trip and realized we had forgotten the things our daughter asked us to bring for her.
We turned around and drove all the way back home to pick them up and thus lost another hour of our journey.
Ahhhhh!

at least we had a beautiful sky to look at!

We arrived late that night after driving through some inclement weather and getting stuck in traffic due to an accident. Then I, of course, stayed up until about 2am chatting away with my aunt.
Our delays, sheer exhaustion and the fact that we were snuggled up in the coziest place NOVA could ever offer meant that we didn't get back on the road until about 9am.
We headed out bound for Greensboro, NC where the kids had been staying with my mom for the past two weeks.
We take Rt. 29 through rural Virginia along the Blue Ridge Mountains because it is a gorgeous ride and 10 million times less stressful than taking 95.

see?



We arrived in Greensboro at my mama's house mid afternoon. I knew my daughter would come tearing out to see us so I was poised with the camera ready to catch the moment.
And I did.

holy moly ~ she grew!

It was hard to do, but we made it a quick stop since we had another 4 hours to go. Within minutes we were back on the road.



Exactly 4 hours later we were driving up the long, steep driveway that winds up the mountainside ecstatic to see this welcome sight....



knowing full well that a week of pure bliss was about to begin.

Tomorrow: Life on the Mountain

7 comments:

  1. It looks fabulous there! I love the photo of your daughter running out to meet ye!!
    ~Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a wonderful time with your family. You deserve it especially with your heavy work load. Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to hear you had a good time Eleanor! You daughter looks really happy seeing you again :-)

    Have a lovely week!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're a regular road warrior - but family is worth a little lost sleep over! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking about you...we were only an hour out of Atlanta!

      Delete
  5. That log cabin porch is so dreamy. I want to transport myself there right now. I love the city, but there is something to be said for the peacefulness of the woods. I'm all warm and fuzzy inside just looking at these photos...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to have a place like that to call home!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.