Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Suppertime Staple: Chicken Cutlets


I was clueless as to how deprived I had been my whole life until one of my girlfriends fed me her mother's chicken cutlets.
Breaded and fried to absolute perfection ~ I had never had such a deliciously simple piece of chicken.
The chicken cutlet is a staple in the homes of my Italian friends.
Served with a simple side dish or salad, it is a quick and easy dinner that satisfies.

Once my girlfriend divulged her mother's secret to these amazing morsels, I added it to my repertoire too.
I purchase two pounds of thin, boneless, skinless chicken breasts from my butcher each time I plan on making them. 
Trust me ~ you WANT leftovers!

I eyeball all the ingredients. Because that's how she told me to do it.
Beat 4-5 eggs in a shallow dish/bowl (when making 2lbs.)
Add a pinch of salt
Some freshly ground black pepper
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Oregano
Then grate in some fresh Parmesan cheese
(Don't be shy...more is MORE in this case!)
Whisk together until blended

Fill a skillet with about a half inch of canola oil over medium heat.
Dredge each chicken breast through the egg mixture first, then dredge each breast through some dried breadcrumbs until covered completely.
Place in heated skillet and fry both sides until golden brown.
Remove to a paper towel lined plate to absorb any excess oil.

That's it.
Told you it was easy!

When I first make them, I usually serve them with a side dish of pasta or rice.
But those leftovers.....
The leftovers leave you with endless possibilities!
Chicken parmesan, chicken sandwiches, cut them into chicken strips...the list goes on.
Last night I took two leftover cutlets, warmed them in the oven, then sliced and topped a fresh garden salad with each one for dinner.
Served with a glass of Vinho Verde, it was a light and delicious way to beat the oppressive humidity here today.


What is one of your Suppertime Staples?

2 comments:

  1. It would be this if I could get someone else to cook it! I don't think I've ever had a properly cooked chicken cutlet, only a frozen one, so this would be a total treat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! We had those here on Monday night! Delish!
    Last night the hubs made beef wellington, definitely not a staple but oh so good.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.