Friday, November 30, 2012

Thanksgiving ~ The Food






Every year I spend the weeks up to Thanksgiving poring over the November foodie magazines carefully selecting and compiling my menu. I base my choices on flavor combinations, ease of preparation and the ability to get the best ingredients possible.
This year?
Not so much.
Work demands had me stretched/stressed to the max and I found myself running to the grocery store on Sunday morning just grabbing the items I knew I could make something out of. A couple pounds of sweet potatoes, Yukon Gold's, and an 18 pund turkey were just some of the things that filled my cart.

This year Google became my holiday lifesaver.
I googled "Best Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe" and "Best Stuffing Recipe" and selected the most appealing of the top picks.
The classic Green Bean Casserole is a must for my son as my mother's Corn Pudding recipe is for my daughter.
Some simple mashed potatoes, homemade gravy, cranberry jelly and it was a wrap.
My father brought an apple pie and I had baked a pumpkin pie at 4am that morning.

I felt unprepared and nervous because I did it all on the fly.
On his way out the door my father gave me an extra squeeze and announced that this might just have been my best Thanksgiving meal yet.

And in a serendipitous way, of course it was.

3 comments:

  1. I've never had a Thanksgiving meal but my mouth is watering and it's just 7am. Looks amazing! Well done xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet it really was! I'm ready to start in all over again! So nice you stopped by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything looked delicious! I am so glad you had a nice holiday. It is funny how sometimes the most casual, unplanned events can be the most memorable.

    Happy holidays to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.