Friday, December 7, 2012

In The Men's Department


I decided this fall that my wardrobe is seriously lacking crewneck sweaters.
Especially a black one.
You see, dress code at work is in one sentence: not my cup of tea.
We can wear the newest products until they go 50% off or more. If we choose not to, then it's all black or black and white or; all black with a "pop" of color. As in a scarf or top or accessories.

I am a color person. All black is way too boring for me.
And buying the latest stuff only so I can NOT wear black is vexing on my wallet.
So I decided that if I found a black crewneck sweater, I could utilize my button ups as my pop of color.
Goodness knows I have a million of them!

Did you know that finding a PLAIN black crewneck is almost impossible right now?
JCrew, The Limited, The Gap....I tried all the usual suspects right away and was shocked to discover that a regular crewneck was not to be had.
Bateau necks, ribbed sleeves, or in JCrew's case; they didn't make them at all this year! (?!?!?)
I was about to give up the idea of it when luckily my husband realized that he has outgrown 90% of his work pants. I told him I would pick him up a few new pairs and found myself in LL Bean later that same day.
Once I secured a few new pairs of khakis I meandered to the women's section in search of my sweater.
Of course they did not have one either.
Yet, at that moment ingenuity struck and I rushed back to the men's department and found a simple, black crewneck in cotton. At a fabulous price too, I might add.
A men's size small is just roomy enough for layering and works perfectly with skinny black pants and riding boots for work.
And those button ups are finally getting some use again!
Thanks LL Bean for not swaying from the path of truly classic sweater making!

Do you ever find yourself in the men's department shopping for what is not to be had in the women's?



16 comments:

  1. YES...when I couldn't find a great white tshirt, I bought mens GAP tshirts in size XS. I also got a really cute striped blue and white shirt from the Webster Target Collab that was mens..and I LOVE IT!
    How are you lady??? We SO need a playdate, lol. Things are crazy...Connor started pre school and Preston keeps me busy...but we are all doing great. I would love some retail therapy and some great coffee sometime soon. PLEASE.
    Hope work is going well.
    C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully we can get some girl time in once January hits and this holiday madness is over!I'm looking forward to it!

      Delete
  2. I have not shopped the mens dept., but I have shopped the kids. I was looking for a white cardi a while back and my size was sold out. I went to Gap Kids and found one that fit perfectly and was on sale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have shopped the kids department too on occasion - especially at Gap! I have a fatigue jacket I adore that is a boys one.
      It pays off to broaden our horizons!

      Delete
  3. yes i do shop the mens dept. i go there first when i hit the gw. mens clothing is made so much better than womens. and the styles are sll so classic. i don't doubt that you found your perfect sweater there. yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a woman of great ingenuity Janet. I don't doubt for a second that you had already pillared and plundered the men's! :)

      Delete
  4. Great idea! I must pay more attention next time I'm shopping for my hubs:) Have a lovely weekend!
    ~Anne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, your company dress code would have me second-guessing myself every morning!

    I'm usually too short to pull off most men's clothing but I do remember those old school wool rollneck sweaters that J.Crew came out with years ago. I LIVED in those things through most of high school - they were cozy, easy, and hid a multitude of eating sins, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I had one of those rollneck sweaters too!!!!

      Delete
  6. Glad to hear you found your black crew neck in the end Eleanor. It looks good on you!

    Wish you a lovely weekend!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep! V-neck jumpers (or sweaters as you Americans like to say). I wanted something simple and could only find them in the mens' section. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks fantastic on you, loving the statement necklace too with denim shirt - perfection. I feel as though as saw them in Ralph Lauren - loads of different candy colours but maybe they were ribbed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My necklace is a cheapie from New York and Company. I can't resist a little glitz and glam with standards like denim and sweaters!

      Delete
  9. Hi Eleanor,

    I went on a white deer hunt today, but the shop I found them in did not have them any more. They are very popular here in Holland :-)! The shop is called the Xenos, but I am not sure if they have a web store.

    Happy Sunday!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet. I am going to hunt online for them relentlessly. I fell head over heels in love with them after seeing them on your blog!

      Delete
  10. My brother loves to use crew neck sweaters this day but not the plain white but like what's in this link because he loves designs in front of the sweater. :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.