Monday, December 10, 2012

Rainy December Sunday







We were supposed to spend Sunday in NYC doing the typical holiday~ish NYC things. Rockefeller Center, American Girl store, ogling the magnificient windows along 5th Ave and winding the day down with dinner in Little Italy.

When we woke that morning, it was pouring outside. We live so close to NYC that we decided to switch gears and wait until next weekend. There might not be much worse than wandering for hours in the cold rain with a 10 year old who will inevitably become wet, tired and cranky.
I'd much prefer the tired and cranky without being sopping wet.
Since she had been counting down the days all week my daughter was completely devastated. To soften the blow we hopped in the car and headed to Red Bank NJ, a beautiful and hip little hamlet on the New Jersey shore.
I've blogged about Red Bank before. It is the town where my parents met, I was born, and my grandfather owned an amazing little corner shop called The Threshold (it is now an Urban Outfitters. How times change!) It is quaint and lovely and will always have a special place in my heart for more reasons than just the magnificent shopping!

We enjoyed a late lunch at The Dublin House which looks as if it was snatched right from a miniature Christmas Village. Trust me, it is just as adorable inside and the food is nothing short of amazing. My husband enjoyed Bangers and Mash and I had an amazing Corned Beef melt at a cozy table in front of the fireplace where we found ourselves lingering to enjoy an extra pint or two.

We browsed through Sickles Market in a neighboring town called Little Silver. Sickles is a small mom and pop gourmet grocer and gift shop that started off as a roadside corn stand when I was just a small child. All summer long my grandparents would stop on the drive home from the beach to buy fresh corn on the cob to have with dinner. At the holidays they have an amazing Christmas shop set up in the greenhouses overloaded with trinkets, treasures and pointsettas as far as the eye can see.

We finally found ourselves over at The Grove at Shrewsbury which was New Jersey's first lifestyle center - built back in the late '80s. It is a treasure trove of fine shopping where my daughter promptly fell in love with Anthropologie.
"They just have a little bit of  EVERYTHING!"
I might be in trouble now.

It was a lovely day doing everything we would have done in New York, just on a smaller more local scale.
Plus, we stayed pretty dry. Win - Win.

What did you do this weekend?


8 comments:

  1. Oh wow! Dublin House looks like something straight off of a postcard (and that corned beef melt looks scrumptious)! It sounds like the perfect festive day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those times when you can spend time with the family. You daughter will definitely cherish it in the the future. I'm a bit on my weekend plans of Xmas shopping and decorating the house. Need to start that next weekend. You're looking great and keep those posts coming (if you can).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to visit Dulin house!! Have a great week:)
    ~Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. meant Dublin ... I should know that word well!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a nice day! Back here in Sweden it has been snowing all weekend, it sure is pretty! But pretty darn cold too...Wish I was in NYC instead!!! But, it sure gets cold there too!!! :) Hope you had a great weekend! / Maria

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have all types of brands and shopping products for sale for our business store with reasonable price online. Shopping Disney Store

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfume Collections We have all collections of perfumes with latest brands and cheap price.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.